I Hate Yard Work

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
When I was having my place built I tried to cover as much area as I could in rock but still have areas with some grass that grows. Not enough to use a lawnmower but enough that using a weedeater is a PITA. I have a gas powered weedeater but it messes with my back after a few hours of running it so I finally broke down and went and got a electric weedeater. I didn't spring for a battery power unit but what I have seems to be getting the job done.

Doing yard work was never big on the hit parade for me other than as a kid I'd have about 10 yards I had to mow but I was also getting paid to do it.

20210603_121952.jpg

20210603_122012.jpg

20210603_122016.jpg

It's hard to find a kid that's willing to do work like that. Not bashing on "kids these days", but we've had the same problem out here.
IMO it was a good thing kids near me didn’t wanna do the work because I did it all, I think I was averaging at least 10 yards a week a couple summers ago. But ive noticed no one replace me since I stopped and now there’s a landscaping business here every week doing a bunch of lawns. I’m surprised because its the easiest way to earn cash as a kid

My WEED problem is partly my fault but I can say when I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes it wasn't really an option to get stuff sprayed.
Now that I can move again I'm trying to fight back what has happened. And it's been windier than it use to be which makes it hard to get out there and get stuff sprayed before it starts growing.

IMO it was a good thing kids near me didn’t wanna do the work because I did it all, I think I was averaging at least 10 yards a week a couple summers ago. But ive noticed no one replace me since I stopped and now there’s a landscaping business here every week doing a bunch of lawns. I’m surprised because its the easiest way to earn cash as a kid

I really do wonder what is happening to the youth of today. I was mowing lawns about 50 years ago and even then there was only minimal competition with other kids. But I didn't live in big towns at the time.

. I hadn't hardly mowed with anything smaller than a 20' batwing until I bought my own house.

Now I have a half acre and a 54" rider.
Where I grew up yard work was a woman's job.
That's funny!
I can only imagine the response I would have got from my wife the first week we were married. I'm sure it would have been painful as I started mowing the yard.

Where I grew up yard work was a woman's job.
That's funny!
I can only imagine the response I would have got from my wife the first week we were married. I'm sure it would have been painful as I started mowing the yard.
I finally let the fiancé drive the mower this year. I haven’t used it so far. My plan is working.

Park vintage tin everywhere. 1960's and earlier GM, Ford and Chrysler products would suffice, with a smattering of Studebakers, Packards, and other "independents". Then tell folks you have chosen "Early American" as your choice of décor. As for weeds, well, either the oil and gas leaks will kill 'em off, or you'll just learn not to care 'bout no stinkin' weeds. ;)

My WEED problem is partly my fault but I can say when I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes it wasn't really an option to get stuff sprayed.
Now that I can move again I'm trying to fight back what has happened. And it's been windier than it use to be which makes it hard to get out there and get stuff sprayed before it starts growing.

I really do wonder what is happening to the youth of today. I was mowing lawns about 50 years ago and even then there was only minimal competition with other kids. But I didn't live in big towns at the time.
My fiancé's lawn guy just quit on here last week. She has a huge yard and lots of landscape, for SoCal standards anyways. We asked my 13 year old boy if he would be interested in doing it and he jumped at the chance. I bought a mower this week (he agreed to pay for half of it) for him and he's going to work the first month for free to pay off his half of the mower, then he's making $150/month for probably less than 2 hours a week worth of work. Good money in my book. I'm in the turf business and have a passion for it, so I'll be out there with him, but he's doing the grunt work.

My fiancé's lawn guy just quit on here last week. She has a huge yard and lots of landscape, for SoCal standards anyways. We asked my 13 year old boy if he would be interested in doing it and he jumped at the chance. I bought a mower this week (he agreed to pay for half of it) for him and he's going to work the first month for free to pay off his half of the mower, then he's making $150/month for probably less than 2 hours a week worth of work. Good money in my book. I'm in the turf business and have a passion for it, so I'll be out there with him, but he's doing the grunt work.

That is awesome.

I've offered $10-12 per hour to do the work around my place and said I'd feed them too. But nope can't get anyone interested. But I've never been a fan of yardwork or gardening. I had to help with the family garden as a kid and did it cause it was part of my chores plus it put vegetables on the table. I use to get a nasty gram at least twice a year when I lived on base because I'd let my lawn get too tall.

Park vintage tin everywhere. 1960's and earlier GM, Ford and Chrysler products would suffice, with a smattering of Studebakers, Packards, and other "independents". Then tell folks you have chosen "Early American" as your choice of décor. As for weeds, well, either the oil and gas leaks will kill 'em off, or you'll just learn not to care 'bout no stinkin' weeds. ;)

If I had the space believe me I'd love to. Plus my HOA sort of looks down on it.

Dang what a bunch of cry babies. I’ve got two acres to mow and wish I had more. A six pack of beer, headphones for some tunes and I’m a happy camper. The wife and I fight over who gets to mow. The only place you can drink and drive and not be in trouble. 🤪

That isn't yardwork that is FUN....

Where I grew up yard work was a woman's job. I hadn't hardly mowed with anything smaller than a 20' batwing until I bought my own house.

Now I have a half acre and a 54" rider.
My wife mows the native grass using a Cub Cadet lawn tractor. I do all the trimming and mow the backyard.