I Hate Yard Work

My wife mows the native grass using a Cub Cadet lawn tractor. I do all the trimming and mow the backyard.
Just to clarify the farm was nearly 1000 acres, not all tillable, with at times a couple hundred head of cattle so I think a couple acre yard was reasonable for yard work.

Shit...I have a quarter acre city lot with the house, deck, patio, and workshop. Not much grass, but what I do have I try to keep nice. Oh, it's all fenced too. I have a 54" cut stander zero turn. Takes me about 20 minutes start to finish to mow... But I need to do it 2x a week in the spring and fall. I trim every two weeks, run the edger once a month, etc. It's work, but I don't work hard anymore to keep it up. Good tools make a big difference.

My 12 year old wanted a dirt bike. I told when we move, we plan to buy a gaggle of them for the kids to ride.

He found this little China POS the guy wanted $600 here in town. I told him no, we don’t have a place to ride it here, I just sold my truck so no way to haul it and it’s a China junk pit bike.

Well, I didn’t think much more of it. He went all over our little town and in one day, earned like $300 doing yard work. He didn’t say a word about this. Took what money he had saved and bargained the guy down to $450.

My wife are out front of the house and here he walks up pushing a pit bike.

I was both pissed and proud at the same time. 🤣🤷‍♂️

It was sold to his friend after some long talks (like, no title…is it stolen?) and it was HAMMERED. Ride hard and put away wet was a perfect description.

And I had already told him I’d buy him a big wheel 80 when we move.

But proud he took the initiative to do it, even if he defied us. He’s a hard worker. I have no doubt he will be successful as an adult.

Oh and yard work sucks. My wife likes it and loves to landscape. And I pay my boys to mow and weed. Otherwise, my whole lot would be rock and I’d have crossbow delivered by the gallon.

😂

Now, give me a zero turn or PTO mower deck for my tractor, all day long. Music, a nice drink and nobody bothering me? Sign me up!!!!

This is a fun way to cut the grass.

IMG_20190514_151445260_HDR.jpg

In our house chores are divided into 'boy jobs' and 'shared jobs'. The latter means things like cooking, cleaning etc. Yard work and car maintenance are 'boy jobs' so clearly there’s no way she’s sharing those...

One of the local kids drives a big dodge 2500 with a trailer and an impressive collection of mowers and trimmers. Asked how his parents afford to buy him all that. They don’t. He mows to pay for all of it and still goes to high school. Dang when I was thirteen I used my dads lawn mower, mowed our yard, and got two dollars for mowing the neighbors yard. Out of that two dollars I had to buy the gas, bubble gum, and bb’s for the gun.
Where did I go wrong?! Dang chewing gum addiction.

A few weeks ago, out of the blue my wife said ... "as we get older we should think about getting a garden tractor". Although I didn't say it, my immediate thought was ... "there's no "we" in grass cutting".

Anyway, I'm going to seize the opportunity and start looking. We have a 1/2 ac. lot in town and although I've always just looked at cutting the grass as a "nice walk". I could use one to also tow around my trailers and heavier car parts (engines, etc.). I thought of taking on an restoration project but with 4 Jeeps, 5 trailers and lots of garage projects that probably won't happen.

Last edited:
I made a lot of money mowing lawns as a kid. Even bought my own mower because I wasn't happy using low quality equipment. If a neighbor who was a wounded veteran had asked me to do his yard my Dad would have made me do it for free. I know because I did an elderly ladies yard for free. I was taught it was the proper thing to do.

Mowing and trimming are small prices to pay for a nice looking yard IMHO.

When I was 13-14, I mowed and trimmed the family yard, washed my step dad’s work truck every weekend, mowed lawns and trimmed palm trees on the weekends in the neighborhood, and had a morning paper route 7 days a week of 150+ customers.

Most kids today don’t wanna do anything but push buttons on their phones.

But the kids that have a good work ethic have a good head on their shoulders, and will do well in life!