I have the dreaded "Jeep shakes on take off" syndrome

Thanks Jerry. It’s a 98 TJ. Before going the SYE and CV driveshaft route, would the washer shims on t case likely improve the issue? If it is the pinion angle? Again, the fact that all issues went away with rear shaft disconnected leads me to think it’s the angle.
The vibrations are from each u-joint at the front and rear of the rear driveshaft operating into an excessive angle... a bigger angle than the u-joints were designed for to work into.

You could temporarily try dropping the tcase skidplate another inch down to 2". Or install either a set of 1" motor mount spacers or a set of 1" taller rubber motor mount lifts.

You can't just live with this particular vibration as it will eventually start taking things out. U-joints, bearings, or seals. You have to do something soon.

I'd either bite the bullet and install a SYE & CV driveshaft or drop down to a 3" suspension lift.

Adjusting the pinion angle should not be done with just a 2" lift. Since your control arms are stock so the pinion angle hasn't been raised, odds are good you just need to drop the t-case skidplate by about 5/8" by stacking enough washers around all six t-case skidplate mounting bolts, placed between the frame and skidplate. Due to the indentation the washers sit in, you will need more like 3/4" to 7/8" worth of washers to lower the skidplate 5/8? Just use heavy duty galvanized washers with a 1/2" bolt hole through them. Support the skidplate with a jack, loosen all 6 bolts but only remove all the bolts on one side at a time to insert the washers. That will keep the skidplate in alignment instead of slipping off to the side if all six bolts were removed at once. Dropping the skidplate 5/8" will reduce the excessive angle the rear driveshaft u-bolts are operating in that causes the vibrations.
The vibrations are from each u-joint at the front and rear of the rear driveshaft operating into an excessive angle... a bigger angle than the u-joints were designed for to work into.

You could temporarily try dropping the tcase skidplate another inch down to 2". Or install either a set of 1" motor mount spacers or a set of 1" taller rubber motor mount lifts.

You can't just live with this particular vibration as it will eventually start taking things out. U-joints, bearings, or seals. You have to do something soon.

I'd either bite the bullet and install a SYE & CV driveshaft or drop down to a 3" suspension lift.
Got it. Based on the extreme angle causing the vibration and risk of eventually taking out parts, wouldn’t the spacer/washer approach on t case eliminate the vibration and thus = little to no risk of comprising other parts? Much appreciated Jerry!

x2 to the Motor mount lift, If you plan on going with a raised belly skid and or SYE/DC DS, and you are somewhat mechanically capable along with not afraid to get your hands dirty, then I would suggest it. I have a 3" Suspension lift from the previous owner and had bad vibes, I put a 1" MML and stacked some washers to help with the vibes. Putting the 1" MML helps set you up for a Tummy tuck in the long run so its worth it (at least to me)

Last edited: