I just installed a remanufactured 42RLE in my 2006—is there a break-in period?

Trailrunner

I just installed a remanufactured 42rle in my 2006. Is there a break in period. Do I change the fluid after a certain amount of miles initially? Thanks

What did the company that sold you the transmission tell you?

I would be easy on it for the first 500-1000 miles and change the fluid after that time as well.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I guess it doesn't need a break-in period.

Last edited:
No, doesnt need any break in time. Did you install the little magnetic filter? Shops usually do.

I would just change the fluid/filter early personally, in case it wasn't cleaned all that well.

I didn't take off the pan yet to check. I'll be really easy on it for a while since I don't drive it in the winter, I'll just move it around the yard for a bit. Probably around the block since it's still nice out yet.

I ordered it from XP automotive, my brother found it for me. I'll check their website. The only time I talked to them was how-to send back the core.

Install the trans. do your initial fill, run it thru the gears (r-n-d-l) slowly several times and recheck the fluid level.
road test the vehicle approx 5-7 miles and get the trans up to temperature. re-check it hot.
no need to do a break-in, just change it at your next service interval.

You do need to do a quick learn for your shift adapts. This is usually done with the DRBII scan tool.
I am not sure if you can do it by doing performing a global reset (disconnecting the battery cables and toughing them together)
Another wise choice is to have the PCM checked for updated software calibrations.

Last edited:
Install the trans. do your initial fill, run it thru the gears (r-n-d-l) slowly several times and recheck the fluid level.
road test the vehicle approx 5-7 miles and get the trans up to temperature. re-check it hot.
no need to do a break-in, just change it at your next service interval.

You do need to do a quick learn for your shift adapts. This is usually done with the DRBII scan tool.
I am not sure if you can do it by doing performing a global reset (disconnecting the battery cables and toughing them together)
Another wise choice is to have the PCM checked for updated software calibrations.
Question, my OBD2 cautions when preparing to clear any DTC, dealer stored information may be cleared as well. Is this referring to any adaptive shift adjustment or updated software calculations/calibration the dealer may have made after installing the transmission.

Question, my OBD2 cautions when preparing to clear any DTC, dealer stored information may be cleared as well. Is this referring to any adaptive shift adjustment or updated software calculations/calibration the dealer may have made after installing the transmission.
No. It is refering to stored freeze frame data and dtc's. Freeze frame data is information stored when a dtc occurs.

Reactions: 1515art
I ordered it from XP automotive, my brother found it for me. I'll check their website. The only time I talked to them was how-to send back the core.
Looks like XP Automotive is only about 30 miles SE of where I'm at.

Any feedback about quality or how it was to work with them? At $1,495 + $500 core they're on the low end cost wise. Quotes I've had recently for a 42RLE rebuild range from $3,000-$5,000. If I buy/bring in a rebuilt transmission, R&R would be about $1,100 labor.

Looks like XP Automotive is only about 30 miles SE of where I'm at.

Any feedback about quality or how it was to work with them? At $1,495 + $500 core they're on the low end cost wise. Quotes I've had recently for a 42RLE rebuild range from $3,000-$5,000. If I buy/bring in a rebuilt transmission, R&R would be about $1,100 labor.
I asked them about picking it up, they aren't to far from me either. Unfortunately they ship out of Milwaukee so I wasn't able to.

I asked them about picking it up, they aren't to far from me either. Unfortunately they ship out of Milwaukee so I wasn't able to.
I received it in a few days and sent back the core yesterday. So far they've been really good. I finished installing it today and it works good. I still don't have a new rear driveshaft yet but I drove it around the block in 4wd. It shifts really hard from 1st to second but I think that's the TCM.

IMG_20201017_130214.jpg

Reactions: AjRagno
I received it in a few days and sent back the core yesterday. So far they've been really good. I finished installing it today and it works good. I still don't have a new rear driveshaft yet but I drove it around the block in 4wd. It shifts really hard from 1st to second but I think that's the TCM.

View attachment 200053

Thanks for providing a photo. That looks as clean as I'd expect from the factory.

As for that rough 1-2 shift: That probably is the PCM if it's done this more than once. The PCM needs to learn to shift the transmission. If it keeps shifting hard from 1-2, it has a circuit memory failure and needs to relearn on each cold start. I got a PCM for my '05 LJ from www.wranglerfix.com a few months ago when it kept putting the transmission into severe overheat mode. This hasn't been an issue since. If you need a new PCM you may as well get one.

Thanks for providing a photo. That looks as clean as I'd expect from the factory.

As for that rough 1-2 shift: That probably is the PCM if it's done this more than once. The PCM needs to learn to shift the transmission. If it keeps shifting hard from 1-2, it has a circuit memory failure and needs to relearn on each cold start. I got a PCM for my '05 LJ from www.wranglerfix.com a few months ago when it kept putting the transmission into severe overheat mode. This hasn't been an issue since. If you need a new PCM you may as well get one.
Thanks, I'll have to check them out.

i was thinking about getting the same transmission, from the same company. any updates on performance improvements or hows it all been?
I've only drove it around the neighborhood a few times before it snowed. It drove great just the hard shift from 1st to 2nd and that is probably the TCM/PCM.