I think I'm gonna stick with 33s (questions)

Lilbomb

TJ Enthusiast
Ok so when I bought this Jeep I was gung ho to build it on 35's eventually. After driving it daily and going out wheeling i'm pretty happy with the 33's it has on it. My daughters are going to get this thing in a couple of years anyway so i'm thinking of leaving it on 33's and building around that. I have some questions though and would like opinions.

Currently it has 3" coil springs on it (don't know what kind), 1" body lift, Rancho 5000 shocks ( I installed those), stock control arms and everything else underneath. It rides ok but not as well as I'd like it to. It's a sport so it has Dana 30/35 underneath. It has 4.56 gears someone put in, no lockers.

My plan is to do the Super 30/35 with some sort of lockers (Eaton Electric or ARB air). Not sure if i'll change up the gearing, 4.56 is probably good for 33's. I was thinking of getting a short arm Savvy or Currie 4" lift so everything underneath gets upgraded and adjustable. For a better ride offroad I've heard the Fox 2.0 shocks tuned for what I have is the best way to go correct? Don't know if the Curry heavy duty steering will help but it "wanders" while driving down the road so i'm hoping with the lift kit and steering kit all that will tighten up.

Any thoughts, opinions and comments are welcomed please.

Thanks!!

Let's see what your steering is. Pics.

Pretty stock from what I can tell.

55559E4E-AC3A-45D4-8D9E-894ACF2E8085.jpeg

156F5445-9E30-4693-BDA9-99B1F449F54D.jpeg

C09A8DFE-849A-4013-A2A4-227BF4970812.jpeg

IMO, that seems like a lot of build ($) for something you're passing on to your daughters.
With the 1" BL, you don't really need 4" of SL for 33s.
Also, you probably don't need Currie steering just because your current setup is worn out.
Wandering could be anything from tires to the steering gear.

IMO, that seems like a lot of build ($) for something you're passing on to your daughters.
With the 1" BL, you don't really need 4" of SL for 33s.
Also, you probably don't need Currie steering just because your current setup is worn out.
Wandering could be anything from tires to the steering gear.

Well they won't be driving for a couple of years so I get to play with it unti then. Lol Doing the build for the family to go out wheeling and then they will get a competent rig.

i'm pretty happy with the 33's it has on it.

I had a choice between two TJRs when I replaced our stolen XJ last year. Both were nearly the same price with 6 speed manuals. One was a 2006, had 35s, a long arm and 30,000 fewer miles. I took the 2005 with 33s and short arm. I'm running factory 4:10 gears which are plenty low and I've wheeled really steep stuff with it... Steep to the point I once thought I was going to flip backwards just before shutting it down. The 35 one required a four lane roadway to make a U turn. Mine requires a 16 ft radius. The ride and steering are wonderful despite the cheap shocks it's on. Whoever did the build, did it right. Wife and I routinely have taken 800 mile round trip Jeep outings the past year without fatigue. I'm 73; she's 77. We use the lockers a lot.

Last edited:
I had a choice between two TJRs when I replaced our stolen XJ last year. Both were nearly the same price with 6 speed manuals. One was a 2006, had 35s, a long arm and 30,000 fewer miles. I took the 2005 with 33s and short arm. I'm running factory 4:10 gears which are plenty low and I've wheeled really steep stuff with it... Steep to the point I once thought I was going to flip backwards just before shutting it down. The 35 one required a four lane roadway to make a U turn. Mine requires a 16 ft radius. The ride and steering are wonderful despite the cheap shocks it's on. Whoever did the build, did it right. Wife and I routinely have taken 800 mile round trip Jeep outings the past year without fatigue. I'm 73; she's 77. We use the lockers a lot.
Keep on wheeling brotha👍