I think I'm ready to talk about this

Glad you daughter and friends are alright. My son did the same thing in his forester but put his straight into a Forrest. 🥴. He walked away with a lot less damage then your kid.

that happened just from not depressing the clutch pedal at high RPMs on a loose surface?

Based on what she remembers, which is sketchy given the mental trauma, she was still in 2nd gear (distracted, forgot to shift is my guess) and going too fast. Then she remembers the rear skidding and she was trying to correct the skid back and forth. Then they slid off the gravel road into a very severe ditch. I went there and the photos don't do justice to the ditch, I think it would have rolled a Lambo. Yes the roll bar, windshield frame and seat belts did their jobs, thank God! I was worried that I missed torquing something on the rear track rod relocation, but everything is still together.

Based on what she remembers, which is sketchy given the mental trauma, she was still in 2nd gear (distracted, forgot to shift is my guess) and going too fast. Then she remembers the rear skidding and she was trying to correct the skid back and forth. Then they slid off the gravel road into a very severe ditch. I went there and the photos don't do justice to the ditch, I think it would have rolled a Lambo. Yes the roll bar, windshield frame and seat belts did their jobs, thank God! I was worried that I missed torquing something on the rear track rod relocation, but everything is still together.
Just another case of a young driver learning to drive. Happens all the time. My daughter wrecked her car 4 times between the ages of 16-24. Like everyone says, good thing they were all wearing their seat belts and are okay.

I personally totaled 2 cars between 18 and 20 years old. Here is my Mustang after I flipped it upside down on a set of train tracks.

81 Mustang (Small).jpg

• Wow
Reactions: TJ Starting
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm really hoping I can save it and use this as a launching pad for a much improved build. It helps to think that most of the damaged parts needed to be replaced anyway, bent fenders - they had a bit of rust and tube fenders are nice, hood - well that had some rust too, bent axle shaft - time for a 44... ok, the doors were perfect.

Glad they’re ok. They’re all that matters.

My now 22 yo son, learned to drive a stick in my TJ. And he drove it during his last year at HS. I love the fact that he can drive stick, but my Jeep is pretty modified and I was very nervous at first with him driving it.

My 18yo son had no interest in learning to drive stick or the TJ. So he’s running a friends old, semi built XJ.

My 13yo daughter is asking to learn stick. I may get a cheapo $500 junker for her to learn on even though she says she wants to drive the Jeep.

Sorry, I digress. Just glad they’re ok. Good luck with your future plans if you decide to rebuild.

I've talked to my highschool buddies more than a few times about how amazing it is that one of our cars didn't end up on the school lawn as a reminder of what can happen - miraculously none of us were killed in all the shenanigans we pulled as a function of either straight idiocy or just inexperience. Very glad your daughter is OK and everyone walked away. Just another story to tell at this point which is a plus. My oldest is 8, and I'm nervous about what's going to happen 7 years from now because I've already turned him into a gearhead. Keep us posted on the rebuid/replacement.

Hey, that's me!

JK...
I knew it !!!!!! That's hysterical .

My grandmother got bit by a spider ...raised her dress ...I said Granny, thats awful, oh it looks terrible , that must hurt, oh that looks bad.. ..she said " wait til you see the leg the spider bit". Gulp.

My son pulled out in front of someone day before yesterday , they ended up on their head.

Anyway..when you said " I told her to take it out anytime" I knew it was going to be bad.

On a real note, the loss of a child can kill you ...they say "the sun rises again but it's never as bright" when that happens.

Keep your head and weigh your options , be thankful and hug her a lot . Things could be really different right now at your house.

Glad you posted, keep your chin up.....and those shorts.

Last edited:
Happy for you and your family! Walking away=big sigh of relief, some shaking, and a great big whisky.

On a more proactive level, here in VA any drivers under 18 are not allowed to have more than 1 passenger that is younger than 21 who is also not a family member. Too many friends=too many distractions and too many accidents. You didn't state her age-still, something to consider.