I think that it may be time for a new top

As mentioned above. Do not attach the windows. Put the front clips in the slots but do not clamp them down. Go back and attach the rear corners into the tub, then go back up front and clamp them down. Now attach the windows. Sides first, then the back window.
This is the exact process I figured out after trial and error. It works well for me.

@Jacket4256 - Have you tried it exactly as above?

Reactions: Jacket4256
I have put 2 new or nos soft tops on my Jeep by myself. Dont even try it if the suns not out at 70 or above. Lay everything in the sun for an hour or two. Then attempt.

Its a huge pain in the ass. Even once on. If i fold it down and take the windows out. For like cruising around with the top down but not completely off. Just getting it up and over and latched takes some sun too.

This year im taking the entire top off completely. But because its such a pain to put up. And there is little warning of cold weather and or rain. I dont think id get the jump on it, find enough sun, and get it back on for the rain. Evem if it was just folded down. Its just a pain.

So ive purchased a car cover to keep it dry and more importantly out of the sun. I spent way to much time and money fixing sun damage in the interior and exterior. I want it covered from the sun.

As for your wife. Your not gonna get an easy convertible situation out of a Jeep soft top. You might get one of those (supertop?) Tops where the front folds back to give you sort of a sunroof. But your wife being able to easily put the stock soft top up is a bit questionable. Its hard for me and im 6'3" 250.

Generally speaking i put the top forward. Then the windows. Then the plastic clips that go into the tub and door surrounds.

But you need a warm day. Which spoils the convertible fun part out of the equation. Or the "its started raining. I better get the top on.". But its now to cold. Unless you live in Florida. ;)

Alot of folks use the "im taking the top off for the summer." Strategy. And either garage, car cover or trail cover. The last covers the cab only.

Reactions: Jacket4256
What is pushing on the middle bar supposed to do? Try raising the rear most bar of the frame behind the rear seat. That should be enough to get the header a few inches in front of the wind shield and more than enough to get the hooks in if you are doing it right.
I can push the middle and clamp at the same time, I cant push the rear and clamp at the same time, every time I push on the rear it will move back before I could get in a position to clamp it or get he clamp in the correct position.

This is the exact process I figured out after trial and error. It works well for me.

@Jacket4256 - Have you tried it exactly as above?
this is the procedure I usually do the only difference is I star the side zippers first just enough to start them on the path I don't put any of the plastic clips in place, the top when on is usually very tight and hard to get zippers for side started.

Seems that mine is just like the rest form the replies and the tops on these are just hard to get on, I thought it was just mine that was hard to put on from age.

Having major problems installing a flimsy soft top reminds me of all the people that need steps to get into their Jeeps with a BB and 31" tires. WTF is going on??? My old (pleasingly plump) aka "got fat" wife that's 5'2" can easily get her ass into my lifted Jeep on 35s. She wanted side steps installed. I told her to lose 30lbs. Neither happened. :rolleyes:

Having major problems installing a flimsy soft top reminds me of all the people that need steps to get into their Jeeps with a BB and 31" tires. WTF is going on??? My old (pleasingly plump) aka "got fat" wife that's 5'2" can easily get her ass into my lifted Jeep on 35s. She wanted side steps installed. I told her to lose 30lbs. Neither happened. :rolleyes:
and you wonder why you call her your soon to be ex-wife?🤔:p

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
I can push the middle and clamp at the same time, I cant push the rear and clamp at the same time, every time I push on the rear it will move back before I could get in a position to clamp it or get he clamp in the correct position.
You should not be clamping at the same time. When I push up the rear bar, that will provide enough slack for the hooks to go into the slots pretty much on their own. How far off are your hooks from the slots? You mentioned 2-4 inches so I am curious if pushing up on the back will help. Once you get the hooks to the slots they tend to stay there so you can push them in because the top balances a bit front to back over the roll bar.