Ideal tires?

Big-Al

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
It's sneaking up on me. I am going to need new tires soon. I was wondering what are your guy's thoughts on the Cooper Discoverer AT tires for highways and tails? I'm in Florida so it's mostly mud, sand, or soft dirt on the trails. Is there a better tire for around $200 (or less)a pop?

How about the Goodyear DuraTrac ?

PRODUCT_201909130121_tire_31921_1000_front.png

Reactions: Big-Al
I had those tires on my F150 for a few years before I sold it and they were great. I rotated with every oil change and they didn’t wear much at all w/ approx. 20k on them. With that said, I run KO2s on my TJ and couldn’t be happier. You can’t really go wrong with them.

I have a set of Cooper AT3's (33's) that I've used for a couple of years, fine on road and offroad, I also have a set of the KO2's (35"), both fine in sand rocks, personally avoid the mud thing myself but would think the KO2's would do fine in mud unless your axle deep and bogging.

It's all just personal preferences. Just like opinions on shocks and ride quality. Buy what you like.
p.s. I really liked my Dick Cepek extreme country tires for mud.

DC extreme country (2).jpg

I've had Cooper AT3's on a couple of vehicles and think they are almost perfect for my uses. Super quiet, easy to balance, good sidewalls, excellent on road tire, even in winter here in NY.
Offroad traction is good in everything but clay-like sticky slimy mud. The tire needs some speed to clear it out of the tread, but I don't know of any A/T that can do a lot with that stuff. I've got tractors that slide around in it too.
And with a 60,000 mi warranty they are hard to beat.

The Cooper AT3s that I installed on the '11 JK that I sold my brother had the tires rotated and the alignment checked on a regular basis; the tires needed to be replaced within less than 35,000 miles. I had always heard good reviews until these tires wore so quickly.
Presently have the Firestone Destination AT2's on my '01 that are rated at 50,000 miles; they are wearing very well and are Snowflake rated.