Ideas for storing hardtop outside?

TJRFL

Hello all, been lurking on the forums, finally joined and posting. I have seen some DIY storage carts posted on here, but does anybody have any ways of storing the hardtops outside? I'm very limited on indoor storage space.

You could just put it on a wood pallet outside and put a tarp over it.

I bought a hard top from someone that sat ~10 years in their back yard without being touched. It was in pretty good condition after pressure wash.

I would put some 2x4s down to keep it off the grass.

I made a simple cart out lumber (2"x4"s and 6"s). It has wheels so I can easily move it around the yard and stuff it in a back corner. I sized it for my LJ but the TJ fits on it too. Milk crates also work well.

16-10-29 6.JPG
DSC_0054.JPG

I'm not sure why I'm trying to make this more complicated than it needs to be, thank you all for your suggestions.

I'm hoping to figure out a way to store it in my garage's mezzanine. My current system of just setting it on a pallet behind the garage is a pain to carry it back and forth. Lifting with either the front end loader or some rope and pulleys to keep it safe this spring.

I made a dolly for mine from directions off the internet. Top stands vertically and is easy to move around. When it’s going to be stored for awhile I use a cover that contours nicely and then put a tarp over tied down with bungee cords. The primary cover protects the underside better than just the tarp. If you decide to build a dolly use bigger wheels with locks.

I made a dolly for mine from directions off the internet. Top stands vertically and is easy to move around. When it’s going to be stored for awhile I use a cover that contours nicely and then put a tarp over tied down with bungee cords. The primary cover protects the underside better than just the tarp. If you decide to build a dolly use bigger wheels with locks.
I think this is going to to be the route I'm going to go. Make myself an "off-road" dolly.

FYI: I used these instructions for my dolly. I’m sure you could bolt some bigger wheels on it.

Me too! Last night in fact.
OP: I’m in a similar boat. I scored a car cover off CL for $20. When the weather turns here in New England, I’ll throw the cover on, wrap it a bit in movers cellophane, and set the top on the cart (which still needs padding)5E5EBC81-27FB-42EB-950C-E5BDC2AEDCD0.jpeg

Reactions: Jeffreybomb