Ideas to remove scuffs from grille inserts?

James9100

TJ Enthusiast
Anyone have any ideas on how to remove marks/scuffs left by grille inserts?
PO put them on, the scuffs aren’t a huge deal but I’d like to get rid of them if I can.

E02C5971-D8A2-45B2-A344-99796603C275.jpeg

Elbow grease. ;)
Good old fashioned wax/polish works for most scratches.
A Cleaner (or cutting) wax is even better.

That's how it works. Removing microlayers of clear coat around the scratch till they're at the same level.
To me, a cutting wax is not as abrasive as a cutting compound which may leave additional scratches that need polished out.
Different brands have different names.

Those large ones look more like chips in the paint with rust developing on the exposed metal.
No amount of rubbing compound will fix that.

I have used this with a lot of success. Removes light scratches without damaging the clear coat.

59322_W3.jpg

Reactions: James9100
I have the same issue on a black TJ.

Basic rule of thumb is if you can catch a finger nail in the scratch it is too deep to buff it out. Mine are pretty deep. No way I am getting them out. I used a black paint stick.. the wax/crayon type. The scratches are still there but they are black instead of white. Bad enough that I will probably put the silly grill inserts back in. Yeah, it's that bad.

Those large ones look more like chips in the paint with rust developing on the exposed metal.
No amount of rubbing compound will fix that.

Ya those are rock trips, I’d like to fix those at some point too, probably just with one of the Duplicolor touch up pens.
I’m looking at the scuffs around the slots right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikekiM and L J
What you're probably going to find is whatever you use will take out some of the marks, but not all of it.
It will be up to you if you want to get more aggressive with different compounds and/or buffers.
Good luck.