If I am replacing a limited slip differential with a locker, what do I need?

Bitar100

TJ Enthusiast
I have a ford 8.8 rear axel that's a D2 code (limited slip). I am trying to purchase a locker but I do not know what I need in order to do it beside the locker itself and the other components (master install kit etc.) What will I need besides the locker to replace the limited-slip diff?

Detroit Locker 913A561 Trutrac Differential with 31 Spline for Ford 8.8"

Locker and a master install kit are a minimum. Assuming you pulled that 8.8 from a junk yard, I'd make sure my master kit had new bearings and new pinion seal. If not, get them as well.

Were you planning on installing the locker yourself? It's not for the faint of heart and very costly to mess up. Most people pay someone to do gear work. Not looking to brag, but just for perspective, I've replaced my clutch, tranny, tcase, drive shafts, installed/converted junk yard 1 ton axles, designed and built my suspension, 40 inch tires, the list of operations goes on... no one touches my Jeep but me... AND my gear guy who has been doing gears and lockers for decades.

That said, if you are meticulous to detail and really do the research, it's not brain surgery.

Reactions: Goatman
You will need the locker, install kit and ring and pinion if changing ratios. Also, some specialized tools are required. Bearing press, micrometer on a magnetic base, torque wrench and a set of calipers. Follow instructions carefully and it really helps to have someone who has done it before, although I did it my first time solo a long time ago.

Since you are not also changing the R&P gears, you do not need a Master Install Kit. All you need are a pair of carrier bearings and a carrier shim kit. A dial indicator with a magnetic base will be needed to measure the gear backlash too. Measure the existing backlash and shim the new locker to achieve the same amount of backlash the existing LSD has.

Google how to measure and adjust R&P backlash for a more in depth treatment of how to do this very important but not difficult job.

Locker and a master install kit are a minimum. Assuming you pulled that 8.8 from a junk yard, I'd make sure my master kit had new bearings and new pinion seal. If not, get them as well.

Were you planning on installing the locker yourself? It's not for the faint of heart and very costly to mess up. Most people pay someone to do gear work. Not looking to brag, but just for perspective, I've replaced my clutch, tranny, tcase, drive shafts, installed/converted junk yard 1 ton axles, designed and built my suspension, 40 inch tires, the list of operations goes on... no one touches my Jeep but me... AND my gear guy who has been doing gears and lockers for decades.

That said, if you are meticulous to detail and really do the research, it's not brain surgery.
You ain't bragging you just know your shit. I wish I can say the same, but no I do not plan to do it myself, if I had the patience and brains and space and time I would totally do it but I have none I can only tackle so much in the parking lots of home depot and Autozone lol. Thank you for the response

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: vinsanity
Since you are not also changing the R&P gears, you do not need a Master Install Kit. All you need are a pair of carrier bearings and a carrier shim kit. A dial indicator with a magnetic base will be needed to measure the gear backlash too. Measure the existing backlash and shim the new locker to achieve the same amount of backlash the existing LSD has.

Google how to measure and adjust R&P backlash for a more in depth treatment of how to do this very important but not difficult job.
Thank you

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
If a shop is doing the install, they'll have everything needed. And just fyi, a Truetrac is not a locker. It is a gear driven limited slip.