If you got new fender flares, would you paint them?

My extended flares are in the shop now getting painted black now to colour match my TJ! The originals (Sahara model) were also painted to match the body colour. IMO it produces a more refined, "stock on steroids" look than unpainted... if that's what you are after. Had no paint fade issues with the gloss black to date but it's a low milage vehicle and garaged when not in use.

Yes

57C6D654-1BB7-4A46-88DD-DC0FBB20E66A.jpeg

Now that I know the heat gun trick I still have my factory black flares, they look great and I don't worry about fading.

The heat gun trick being simply that if you get a $20 heat gun, you can restore the color of faded flares by heating them up. Whole process took me an hour or two.

Now that I know the heat gun trick I still have my factory black flares, they look great and I don't worry about fading.

The heat gun trick being simply that if you get a $20 heat gun, you can restore the color of faded flares by heating them up. Whole process took me an hour or two.

The only issue with the heat gun trick is the reason they faded in the first place was they basically dried out. The paraffin in the plastic more or less boiled out of the top surface. The heat gun brings more to the surface and restores the color. It won’t last as long as it did when they were new and the more often you do it the plastic will become more brittle and chalky.

Reactions: Hotrodbud
New unpainted flares will fade much faster than the ones painted with SEM.
I followed the advice to use SEM to re-do one of my Rubi flares after someone gave it a good scrape in a parking lot. I have to say, the color is an exact match to the oem. You can't tell it was painted.

Reactions: Aloha Joe

If the only method to make flares look slightly better was the heat gun trick, I'd buy metal flares or make them. I despise that method and the advice to use it with a passion. All you are doing is migrating the plasticisers to the surface that got leached away by the elements. It is temporary at best and ruins the flare.

Im debating about painting / replacing my fender flares black or repairing a cracked one and attempting to repaint them their stock color. They currently have the original painted flares on an X freedom edition. Choices, choices. Leaning towards keeping it original.
IMG_0329.jpg

My 2016 JK that I just bought a couple months ago has factory black flares that still look new. Not sure if the JK fenders are differently made or what (I doubt it), but I am wondering how long they will last before they start fading. I'm sure it has to do with usage, sun exposure etc. I have been using the 303 Products Automotive UV Protectant in hopes it will provide a barrier and delay the process. Any idea if this is a bad solution or whether another product might be better suited (until I have to go with the SEM paint job!)?

Another vote for Paint. I did mine with Rustoleum Bed Liner. Its shit bedliner, but works great on trim and stuff. Its a much finer texture than "real" bedliner and its a nice satin black. Its pretty tough too. Overall, I've very happy with it. Its been there for a couple years now, and still looks like the day I sprayed it. Big key is getting the prep done properly and using an adhesion promoter.

Im debating about painting / replacing my fender flares black or repairing a cracked one and attempting to repaint them their stock color. They currently have the original painted flares on an X freedom edition. Choices, choices. Leaning towards keeping it original.View attachment 88993
My vote is to keep it original. It is unique and looks good. Get some Moab rims or take-offs and your rig will look incredible. I almost wish I had those flares, well, I actually do wish I did.

Reactions: Capt'n
I like the flat black flares. If you paint the flares (regardless of color/finish), you have the opportunity to touch them up when necessary, and also to paint anything else that's the same color (like flat black bumpers, etc., in my case).

I like the flat black flares. If you paint the flares (regardless of color/finish), you have the opportunity to touch them up when necessary, and also to paint anything else that's the same color (like flat black bumpers, etc., in my case).
x2. While I was redoing the front flare on my Rubicon last weekend, I took the opportunity to use the SEM Trim Black on the plastic sway bar cover that sits behind the front bumper, which was pretty faded. Although I have the Currie Antirock, I left that cover on as a trim piece. It now looks new again. Next up is the rear plastic license plate bracket.

Reactions: Geeper
Another vote for Paint. I did mine with Rustoleum Bed Liner. Its shit bedliner, but works great on trim and stuff. Its a much finer texture than "real" bedliner and its a nice satin black. Its pretty tough too. Overall, I've very happy with it. Its been there for a couple years now, and still looks like the day I sprayed it. Big key is getting the prep done properly and using an adhesion promoter.

View attachment 89001
I had similar results using the Duplicolor bedliner on a previous JK. I painted the rockers with it, and used it for touch-up on a black powdercoated Shrockworks front stubby bumper, which matched surprisingly well.

View attachment 89001
Those look nice, thanks. I have a can of that and was thinking of doing it now that it's warm so it's good to know that it will last.

Reactions: Mike_H