Ignition key issues.

KenR955

Question for the TJ crew.
My TJ is a 98 2.5, 5 speed.
Not that this matters.
The problem is the ignition cylinder seems to have an issue. The keys work properly in all three doors, but to start the engine, or to use the accessory function, I have to insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder, then pull it out about 3/8" or so, then I can turn the key. No other way to turn the key to start the Jeep. The previous owner had tape wrapped around the key so it wouldn't enter the lock cylinder too far, but that just made a sticky mess on the key. I assume I have to buy a new lock cylinder. Does anyone have any other solutions to this problem?
EDIT-- I have no idea if this is the original key, I assume not because it does not have JEEP or thr Dodge Pentastar on the plastic portion. I have a thick gray key and a thin black key, but no SKIM installed on the steering column.
Thanks,
KenR955

Is it an after market key? Sounds like the key doesn't have the correct stops. Maybe try to find an OEM blank or friend's Jeep key to compare.

Not sure if this is related but there is a part inside the ignition which breaks. Chrysler does not sell the part but Dorman does.

DSC_0005.jpg

Question for the TJ crew.
My TJ is a 98 2.5, 5 speed.
Not that this matters.
The problem is the ignition cylinder seems to have an issue. The keys work properly in all three doors, but to start the engine, or to use the accessory function, I have to insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder, then pull it out about 3/8" or so, then I can turn the key. No other way to turn the key to start the Jeep. The previous owner had tape wrapped around the key so it wouldn't enter the lock cylinder too far, but that just made a sticky mess on the key. I assume I have to buy a new lock cylinder. Does anyone have any other solutions to this problem?
EDIT-- I have no idea if this is the original key, I assume not because it does not have JEEP or thr Dodge Pentastar on the plastic portion. I have a thick gray key and a thin black key, but no SKIM installed on the steering column.
Thanks,
KenR955
Did you ever resolve this? If so what was the fix? Thanks