Ignition key problem

willrek

Supporting Member
I was having an issue with my "new" TJ. The key would pull out...even with the Jeep running. It was also very easy to accidentally pull the key out leaving it in the accessory position, running down the battery. So, I changed out the ignition key cylinder. Even got all the tumbers matched up so I can use my keys. Felt like I accomplished something. Everything works....well almost. Now the key alarm beeps...even when the key is removed. So, any suggestions for my next step? Should I replace the actuator or switch? All advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

will

You may have a busted interlock, the piece that connects the key cylinder to the starter switch, I had it happen to me wifey just made it into the garage turned off the engine and the interlock broke.
Interlock can be gotten at any jeep house, but installing is a bitch but I managed with help of YouTube

thank you for this. Well, I ended up cleaning up and reinstalling the old key cylinder. It works better now and the blessed beeping has stopped. You can still pull the key out, but it clicks into place at shut-off so you don't accidentally leave it in ACC. It's workable now. It's got to be something different about the Dorman key cylinder, but for the life of me, I cannot see any difference.