Ignition lock cylinder removal issue help needed

Bert J.

My key will not turn to start position on my 06 Wrangler therefore the ignition lock cylinder will not release. Is there an alternate way to remove the cylinder. I saw a previous thread where they referenced using an old flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. Would that be the only solution? If so, where should I position the screwdriver tip to strike?

All help appreciated.

Thanks,
Bert

Could drill it out...but yeah...insert flat blade screwdriver in slot like your key...hammer it in a few times or a few more...I like a screwdriver with a hex shank so a can get a wrench on it...but vice grips work too...

Car theft 101...

-Mac

Could drill it out...but yeah...insert flat blade screwdriver in slot like your key...hammer it in a few times or a few more...I like a screwdriver with a hex shank so a can get a wrench on it...but vice grips work too...

Car theft 101...

-Mac

Car theft 101...

-Mac

Thanks Mac!

Reactions: macleanflood
My key will not turn to start position on my 06 Wrangler therefore the ignition lock cylinder will not release. Is there an alternate way to remove the cylinder. I saw a previous thread where they referenced using an old flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. Would that be the only solution? If so, where should I position the screwdriver tip to strike?

All help appreciated.

Thanks,
Bert

Try hitting the end of the key first.
It has worked for me on other vehicles.

All help appreciated.

Thanks,
Bert

what part of GA are you in Bert ?

Check out this replacement cylinder from Dorman that supposedly works with your existing key!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D8BKR5M/?tag=wranglerorg-20
IMG_4653.png