Ignition module?

Jack Sharkey

Looked at 2006 65 anniversary model. 6 speed, optional rear disk brakes. Some cosmetic mods. Salesperson went to start it and no start. Embarrassed, he said he would have it looked at. Day later he called. Said something in steering column area was replaced. It was good to go. Drove it, liked it, bought it.
Now A/C fan runs with key on, cuts off after start up. Air bag light and no directional signals. Always starts and runs great.
Bad ignition mod or bad install?

Looked at 2006 65 anniversary model. 6 speed, optional rear disk brakes. Some cosmetic mods. Salesperson went to start it and no start. Embarrassed, he said he would have it looked at. Day later he called. Said something in steering column area was replaced. It was good to go. Drove it, liked it, bought it.
Now A/C fan runs with key on, cuts off after start up. Air bag light and no directional signals. Always starts and runs great.
Bad ignition mod or bad install?

First off, what are they asking for this rig to begin with?

I paid $12,400, they were asking 13,500.

IMO, that's a lot for something that wouldn't start on the lot and has dash lights and has a safety issue. Did you get the airbag module scanned for codes? It is possible they damaged clockspring wiring and the turn signal assembly, especially if they were rushing knowing you were interested in it. Sometimes ignition switches are a PITA to get out.

IMO, that's a lot for something that wouldn't start on the lot and has dash lights and has a safety issue. Did you get the airbag module scanned for codes? It is possible they damaged clockspring wiring and the turn signal assembly, especially if they were rushing knowing you were interested in it. Sometimes ignition switches are a PITA to get out.

I bought cars there before. Seem like nice folks. The jeep was clean,no rust on frame, no accidents. I thought it was a dead battery. I see that the battery is new since I looked at it. When I test drove it after the repair it was fine. After I bought it and drove it home this problem started. The problem comes and goes. Sometimes it’s not happening and on the next start it occurs. I was going to go back and see if they will tell me exactly what was done in the repair. They always have clean cars. Mercedes,BMW,Lexus. Small ,family operation . Lately they have been having some Jeeps.

Thanks for going over this with me. I appreciate the help.

Wiggle the key around and see if anything changes.

The original key on my 06 was extremely worn and if you didn't push it in all the way and hold it, various things didn't work. Went and got the unused key, and everything worked fine. Made of a copy of the unused key to use and put the unused OEM back in the drawer.

They probably replaced the ignition actuator pin and/or the ignition switch.

Wiggle the key around and see if anything changes.

The original key on my 06 was extremely worn and if you didn't push it in all the way and hold it, various things didn't work. Went and got the unused key, and everything worked fine. Made of a copy of the unused key to use and put the unused OEM back in the drawer.

They probably replaced the ignition actuator pin and/or the ignition switch.

Started up the jeep this morning. Everything normal. While sitting there problems occurred. Blower went off,air bag light,no directionals,etc. JIGGLED KEY! Problems went away! Looks like I’m on the way to clearing this up.
Thank you,thank you.

Reactions: Granite
You might ask if they replaced both the ignition switch and the actuator at the same time. If they left the actuator original that might be worth replacing too. Both to rule it out as the culprit, but also some insurance against it failing (which they do)

At least part of the problem could be with the ignition switch secondary contacts or wiring to the ignition switch inside the column.

At least part of the problem could be with the ignition switch secondary contacts or wiring to the ignition switch inside the column.

Just the slightest jiggle of the key while running clears problem.

You might ask if they replaced both the ignition switch and the actuator at the same time. If they left the actuator original that might be worth replacing too. Both to rule it out as the culprit, but also some insurance against it failing (which they do)

Have a call into dealer. They are going to find out exactly what was done. They are concerned about making it right. Good guys. Auto Expo Dothan ,Alabama

Probably the ignition switch then.

Is that the part the key goes in ?

IMG_0822.jpeg

I think I may be having the same problem. I recently dropped the transmission and I just got everything put back in yesterday but when I went to turn the key the starter didn’t do anything. I went under the Jeep and was able to get it turned on with a screwdriver on the starter but nothing from the key inside the cab. Could it be the ignition switch?

I think I may be having the same problem. I recently dropped the transmission and I just got everything put back in yesterday but when I went to turn the key the starter didn’t do anything. I went under the Jeep and was able to get it turned on with a screwdriver on the starter but nothing from the key inside the cab. Could it be the ignition switch?
Could be the switch, ignition actuator pin, N safety switch.