I'm about ready to lose my mind with this oil leak

TJ Starting

The Seven Slots of the World
Supporting Member
Just recently my TJ obtained its first oil leak in my ownership. Oil covering the starter and frame and everything else within close proximity. Dripping on the exhaust and getting blown up on the bottom of the tub. Figured it must be the rear main as it definitely isn't from the valve cover.

So I embarked on the rear main replacement which turned into a nightmare of removing the driver side fender because the y pipe to manifold bolts were just spinning. Anyway finally got it all back together and degreased the whole underside. Was 100% confident on how everything went back together. I would consider myself fairly mechanically inclined and this definitely isn't my first rodeo as I have done the same job on my previous XJ when I rebuild to engine.

I drive to work a couple days and then check on it again, what do we have? More oil drips. Oil dripping from the oil pressure connector which I find very odd. Oil covering the starter and the frame close it. Oil on the exhaust and bottom of the tub in the same area. And from between the aluminum cover plate and the trans. But the front of the plate and back of the oil pan is dry.

I just find this very odd that it seems to be leaking specifically on the starter side of the engine and again its also dripping from the oil pressure sensor connection. But also coming from between the aluminum plate and trans. I don't want to be frustrated with my boy TJ but he's getting on my nerves right now.

Replace the leaking oil pressure sensor, clean oil off again and you may find the leaks are all fixed.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Replace the leaking oil pressure sensor, clean oil off again and you may find the leaks are all fixed.

Well I've been considering that but it is a fairly new (maybe 6mths) off brand one that of course doesn't work. Original one was broken when a buddy was trying to help with a project and that's a story in itself because I haven't had much luck finding a Mopar one that'll fit. But that still doesn't seem like a total solution considering the oil from the front of the trans. I'll definitely give it a try if someone has a lead on one that will actually work.

With the sensor leaking, gravity and wind from driving will blow that oil all over that side of your drivetrain. Find another sensor and clean everything off. Good chance that’s all that’s needed.

With the sensor leaking, gravity and wind from driving will blow that oil all over that side of your drivetrain. Find another sensor and clean everything off. Good chance that’s all that’s needed.
Uhh, ok thanks for the encouragement @Daryl. I just unplugged the sensor and it popped out like it was pressurized then some oil dripped out. So sprayed it off some brake clean and had my dad start it while I watched it. Oil starting pissing straight out the plug in. I'm dumbfounded, never even knew this was possible. Another glowing review for parts store brand sensors. If someone could offer up a Mopar sensor link I'd be upmost grateful.

Reactions: JMT
Gonna post this here so yall can see this phenomenon. Can't get a video to upload but at least get a eyeful of this.(if anyone is concerned about the oil color, I'm running some moly right now so that's what that's about).
Screenshot_20220707-232006_Gallery.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: JMT
Wow! That's quite the leak.
I have seen pressurized leaks like that send oil up thru the wiring harness and into places where it can do harm. Mainly on VVT cam actuator solenoids, but this one could certainly do the same thing.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Uhh, ok thanks for the encouragement @Daryl. I just unplugged the sensor and it popped out like it was pressurized then some oil dripped out. So sprayed it off some brake clean and had my dad start it while I watched it. Oil starting pissing straight out the plug in. I'm dumbfounded, never even knew this was possible. Another glowing review for parts store brand sensors. If someone could offer up a Mopar sensor link I'd be upmost grateful.
My son-in-law work for Chrysler. Here is the part # for the Mopar Oil pressure sending unit and below is a link to a site you can purchase the item.

Oil Pressure Sending Unit - Mopar (5149064AB)​

https://www.oempartsource.com/oem-p...=pla&msclkid=cec36f22553f1c7269c40dea8f9aab20

Reactions: JMT and TJ Starting
for the drip around the bellhousing/pan, about 4 cans of brake cleaner and a month or so and mine finally stopped dripping. could just be remaining oil from previous RMS leak.

Yeah little update om that, went to town this morning and got a 1/8" plug and put that in there for now. Thoroughly degreased everything and a can of JD brake cleaner into the bell housing. Drove it to work then I left it parked on the concrete all day. Not a single drop. I really wonder if the rear main was ever leaking to begin with. At least there's a new fel pro pan gasket and main now.

I am dying to know how that even happens.

My guess is like @Claytone mentioned, with this sensor leaking for probably about the last three months it pushed oil up the wire. Honestly it sounds impossible for that much oil to travel like that but thats the only logical explanation I've heard. It was in all three plugs to, I don't know. I'm at a lost really of how this is even possible.