I'm getting 11mpg, is that normal?

GrizzlyMcGhee

I recently bought an 06 tj 4.0l w/ 6 speed manual transmission. It has 33" mid terrain tires and a 3 1/2 to 4 inch lift. Getting 11 mpg, that about right?

IMG_20190414_152051.jpg

If it’s geared stock , that mpg is likely . Your speedo may be off also.

Reactions: wildbill
With proper gears, a good tune up, extra wax, and a correct speedometer. You might get 14 mpg.

In all seriousness its going to be hard to say. I quit looking at mine. I was going down a rabbit hole. Now i just add gas, have fun, then cry at the bank account.

... I quit looking at mine. I was going down a rabbit hole. Now i just add gas, have fun, then cry at the bank account.

I'm right there with you. When I first got my jeep, I was obsessed with trying to figure out how to improve the mpg... Eventually I just said screw it, and focused on the fun.

Reactions: Boinked
I recently bought an 06 tj 4.0l w/ 6 speed manual transmission. It has 33" mid terrain tires and a 3 1/2 to 4 inch lift. Getting 11 mpg, that about right?

View attachment 90144
If you haven't regeared your axles to a lower ratio for those 33's your engine isn't running at optimal rpms so it won't get its best potential mpg. My present TJ came to me with 35's, 4-speed automatic 42RLE transmission, and 4.88 gears. The engine rpms were constantly too low, the engine lugged a lot, and it never saw even12 mpg. I regeared it to 5.38 which raised the rpms enough to let the engine run better and more efficiently. My mileage went up to the mid-14's.

Last edited: