I'm replacing the automatic transmission in an 04, and I gotta say...

Whoever thought it was a good idea to use those strange 6 pointed bolts at the top of the bell housing deserves to be kicked square in the nuts repeatedly with steel toe boots.

That is all.
That's the best thing about our TJs, they let you use EVERY FUCKING SOCKET & WRENCH in your toolbox! I worked on Asian imports for most of my career, my 11,13,15,16,&18mm wrenches (as well as everything SAE) got so lonely in those drawers. When the TJ comes in the garage it's a full on party. Even for the torx & torx safety bits!!

Whoever thought it was a good idea to use those strange 6 pointed bolts at the top of the bell housing deserves to be kicked square in the nuts repeatedly with steel toe boots.
That's called an Extended Torx. Once you figure out that it's actually easier to remove and replace using an extended torx socket than a standard hex head bolt is with a standard socket you'll stop complaining. They do that for that particular bolt because it's in a difficult to reach area and an extended torx type is far easier to hang onto while removing or inserting. The size used on the transmission is an E-12, the tcase uses an E-10.

That is all.
and you thought it would be easy??? and yes the Torx bolt sucks if you do not have the correct socket for it.

*External Torx

Male Torx
medium.jpg

female Torx
440-207.png

Female Torx with IUD

gh.jpg

Last edited:
You using the right female torx sockets on em? I don't get why they're so difficult except that top one.

You using the right female torx sockets on em? I don't get why they're so difficult except that top one.

Yes. It stripped, so I grabbed my sockets that remove stripped bolts. Those made it rounder. Then I hammered on an 8mm, which didn't do jack. Followed it up with a torch and air hammer, and got the head of it off.

Good times.

Reactions: Blondie70
Yes. It stripped, so I grabbed my sockets that remove stripped bolts. Those made it rounder. Then I hammered on an 8mm, which didn't do jack. Followed it up with a torch and air hammer, and got the head of it off.

Good times.
Next time, assuming you still don't have the correct socket which takes these out perfectly even if they're rusted, weld a nut onto the head and then go after it. Way easier than all of that.

Reactions: williambmac
Next time, assuming you still don't have the correct socket which takes these out perfectly even if they're rusted, weld a nut onto the head and then go after it. Way easier than all of that.

I do that all the time. There's not much space up there, so I was trying to avoid it.

It's not a big deal. I got it out. I was just venting about stupid torx bolts. lol

Reactions: B00mb00m

Good times.
Dude, get some EZ Grip. Too late now, but get some & keep it in your toolbox, a bottle will last you a decade. It’s like an elmers glue with a suspension of super sharp steel shavings. Very common in the military aircraft trades where we have to deal with 20 year old panels that have 300+ recessed fasteners.

Put a drop in your socket, on your screwdriver, on you wrench, that stuff will bite the shit out of the fastener & keep it from stripping. Go out to any F-16 flightline & most crewchiefs have some in a ziploc bag in their pocket.

EZ Grip Friction Drops, Aircraft Grade EZ59183 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFEJY5W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited: