I'm trying to make a bad locker choice, need a voice of reason

The auto locker will work fine most of the time. But that one time when you really wish you were in control, you won't be. I would (and did) go with the E-Locker for Colorado driving.

The switch which comes with the E-Locker is enormous. Instead of trying to mount that monster, I used a GCD switch which snaps into the switch bank on the dash:

View attachment 434849
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HM97SW9/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I haven't looked at the Eaton wiring schematic but a simple SPST on-off switch should work well and from your photo it appears that is all the Eaton switch is. At least I only see two wires going into it.

You are a wise man.
I have a Eaton and it just works. People who say you just have to know how to drive an auto locker in snow obviously haven't driven in the Rockies , uphill , in the snow , around a corner. ;)

I thought it was supposed to go..."in the Rockies, around a corner, in the snow, uphill, both ways...". 😁

Reactions: DavidBT
I haven't looked at the Eaton wiring schematic but a simple SPST on-off switch should work well and from your photo it appears that is all the Eaton switch is. At least I only see two wires going into it.

Both the Eaton and the GCD switch are 3-wire: Power in, Locker out, and Ground. The ground is there for the built-in LED. Yes, the switch itself is SPST.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
in live in eastern idaho and have had the same dilemma on lockers but am so glad I ended up doing selectable with the amount of snow we get. Running 4wd not locked with snow rated tires is a dream but wheeling the rocks now locked when I want it. I ended going arb because that’s the axles I got used but I also planned on arb before I got my axles. I like the arb, my friend here also runs arb and has never had any issues with air or compressor. I also like the fact that the arb is always locked even in reverse since I am a manual and will often roll back just a bit on stuff. Either one will be better than an auto for snow.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
I've never thought about an auto locker in the rear before since the PO installed a selectable. Is it only unlocked while your foot is off the gas? I guess before I've always wondered when it wasn't locked. A front auto locker is easier to understand when it's normally not locked, 2wd.

I have an eaton locker in the rear and auto in the front. The only time I've had an issue is when I couldn't figure out why the locker wouldn't engage. There is a plug right outside the differential that plugs into the wire going to the front of the jeep. I guess the plug was corrupted so I cut off the plug and connected the wires together.

One more advantage to having a selectable locker when you are off road and have a tight turn it's nice to be able to disengage to make the turn easier and then turn it back on.

I've never thought about an auto locker in the rear before since the PO installed a selectable. Is it only unlocked while your foot is off the gas?
The Detroit Locker I am familiar with is locked unless you turn left or right at which point it will unlock the outside wheel so it can rotate faster. But it will only do that if there is no torque being applied to it which includes accelerating or decelerating through that turn. That means it will unlock during turns when you're using neutral throttle but it'll stay locked through turns if you're accelerating or using engine braking during a turn.

How do the Eaton and ARB lockers compare in terms of strength / durability?

You have to be careful and compare on a case by case basis. Some examples for you:

Dana 44. Early versions of both Eaton and ARB are not nearly as strong as current production but I would give the nod to Eaton as they did not use those tiny ass bolts like ARB did to hold the case together. Current designs for both are about on par but I would say the ARB is a touch tougher but the Eaton is far easier to install.

Dana 60. Eaton makes a 2 and 4 pinion elocker. The 2 pinion IMO and many others that purchased Dana Ultimate 60s found out that they are crap. But the four pinion is significantly stronger and I would say equal to an ARB.

One thing you will here from some is the Eaton is weaker because of the cam action of the magnet and locking pins and how they believe the locker will unlock and then have to relock when going from forward to reverse and vice versa. There are even a couple interesting vid on the tube to corroborate their beliefs. The problem with their validation is that what they are showing you is a diff with no load against it which pretty much never occurs in the real world. Sure the stator and pins could possibly move while changing direction but I have serious doubts the locking collar is going to come unlocked at all unless the drivetrain is completely slacked.

The switch which comes with the E-Locker is enormous. Instead of trying to mount that monster, I used a GCD switch which snaps into the switch bank on the dash:

View attachment 434849
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HM97SW9/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I simply made use of dead space. I prefer the safety switch functionality and reserving the stock switch locations for other items.

IMG_4944.jpeg

switches.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Murf926
You have to be careful and compare on a case by case basis. Some examples for you:

Dana 44. Early versions of both Eaton and ARB are not nearly as strong as current production but I would give the nod to Eaton as they did not use those tiny ass bolts like ARB did to hold the case together. Current designs for both are about on par but I would say the ARB is a touch tougher but the Eaton is far easier to install.

Dana 60. Eaton makes a 2 and 4 pinion elocker. The 2 pinion IMO and many others that purchased Dana Ultimate 60s found out that they are crap. But the four pinion is significantly stronger and I would say equal to an ARB.

One thing you will here from some is the Eaton is weaker because of the cam action of the magnet and locking pins and how they believe the locker will unlock and then have to relock when going from forward to reverse and vice versa. There are even a couple interesting vid on the tube to corroborate their beliefs. The problem with their validation is that what they are showing you is a diff with no load against it which pretty much never occurs in the real world. Sure the stator and pins could possibly move while changing direction but I have serious doubts the locking collar is going to come unlocked at all unless the drivetrain is completely slacked.

I know ARB improved their case design a few years ago (going from a three-piece case to a two-piece case, or something like that), but I did smoke an old style 60 case. Cracked the case in four places. I guess I would have been OK if I were running an LS...

🙂

Jeep - R&P 3 - 11-25-2020 (6).JPG

You know infinitely more about this stuff than me.

All I can say is that I've tested my Eaton lockers plenty in the rocks (D44s). They have never unlocked on me in reverse, never been difficult to engage/disengage, and I've never needed to move the tire a half revolution to get them to unlock. I was mindful of this after reading that this was a problem with earlier versions.

I've also read that some recent ARB lockers have had internal air leak issues that require the assembly to be removed (supposedly due to using cheaper parts than previous bulletproof ARB lockers). I don't know if that's true or a legit problem, but it did reaffirm my desire to go with the less complicated system.

I consider both to be top choices and recognize that there's gonna be chatter out there for and against each kit (reminds me of Ford vs Chevy battles).

My suggestion is to buy whichever kit you want.

I know ARB improved their case design a few years ago (going from a three-piece case to a two-piece case, or something like that), but I did smoke an old style 60 case. Cracked the case in four places. I guess I would have been OK if I were running an LS...

🙂

View attachment 434904

Could it be the 40s?