In 2024, is there a plug-n-play option for speedometer correction on a 1997 with a SYE?

Hesher

Supporting Member
As the title says, I have a 1997 TJ with the old YJ style plug into the SYE. so i cant use a new gear, and all the pnp options apparently only work from 1998 and up.

Does someone make a harness i can but without having to make my own? blue monkey used to make one but they are out of business

tia!

jason

What SYE do you have? It's been about 7 years, but i'm pretty sure all I had to do was splice on a new connector with the JB Conversions SYE on my '97

Haven’t ever seen anyone make one personally. It’s quite simple though because the older ones are GM 3-pin weather packs.

I’m a bit confused though, are you running a standard SYE? Or you swapped to a super short SYE and now can’t plug in because of the supplied speed sensor having the 98+ connector?

to clarify: i have the jb short sye. I installed it over a year ago and soldered in the correct connector to work on my 97.

Last week, I regeared from 3.73 to 4.56 - so I’m off quite a bit. is that what I’m missing? I need to just get a 98+ connector that would’ve come with the sye originally?

to clarify: i have the jb short sye. I installed it over a year ago and soldered in the correct connector to work on my 97.

Last week, I regeared from 3.73 to 4.56 - so I’m off quite a bit. is that what I’m missing? I need to just get a 98+ connector that would’ve come with the sye originally?

So if you snipped the the pigtail on the supplied sensor and spliced on one to match the 97 plug, then that means you are using a male and female 3-pin weatherpack, because that is what the YJ/97 use.

So if you are wanting a speedohealer or whatever to be plug and play, you’d snip off the supplied plugs and put on 3-pin weather packs. Obviously would need to make sure you get the in and out sides of the signal going to the right plugs.

I don’t know of anyone selling a kit for the early years because there is low demand. YJ was only electronic for 92-95, and then the 97 TJ, so they pretty much haven’t found that worth providing an option for. Easy to fix though.

It also wouldn’t be hard to just splice into the speed circuit and avoid the plug and play bulk, but I do get the appeal of plug and play.