In appreciation of steel wheels

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
In my recent quest to find a set of wheels for my Jeep, I ended up with steel wheels due to the fact that not much was available in terms of alloy options for exactly what I wanted. As I was looking at photo after photo of wheels, I realized that older style steel wheels are charming in their own way, esp on older 4x4s.

The visual design aspects are very interesting to think about in general. The wheels that old Toyota FJs and Land Rovers had were pretty utilitarian, but they looked very nice and fit really nicely within the design language of those rigs. CJs, too, with the white wagon wheels. I happened to see photos of a newer JKs/JLs that were running steel wheels (from a Ram 1500) and I kinda liked those as well. Part of me is happy that I have lightweight steel wheels today, though I do miss the Moab rims I was running before them. The TJ is an interesting vehicle in the sense that it can be made to look both modern or old school if careful choices are made. The JK/JL platforms quite don't have the same thing going on, partly I think due to paint type/color/texture and how the other modern design elements on newer vehicles kind of intentionally take away the "old-school-ness". Even on TJs, there are something that don't look right like they would have on a CJ.

Thought I would start a photo thread of steel wheels on older vehicles just for fun. Post up photos of you have anything that you like. I do understand the benefits of alloy wheels over steel, yada yada, but I am just talking looks here and not performance.

DM6480-ksouykjp.jpg

land-cruiser-fj40(108).jpg

83eaab33a1439febe122c73f71a0cb1a.jpg

2630775783_e41e8a6930-jpg.jpg

168950278.Ewf8wDI0.jpg

6557b5595d6faaa133085db6ef2a13db-jpg.jpg

Not a Jeep but these are some KEWL lookin steel rims IMO.

1608931971776.png

If you want to read a interesting article on the Ultimate Boondocking/Expedition rig......
The Cost-No-Object Expedition Camper - Truck Camper Magazine

Now of course I'm sort of partial to my steel wheels on my TJ. The neat thing about these wheels is you can get them made in just about any design you want if it can fit your wheel size.

StazWorks makes custom dual beadlock wheels for just about any application.

My current wheels.

20200514_111949.jpg

20200515_061844.jpg

20200603_170135.jpg

This is also one of my more favorite designs for a wheel center.

spider 1.jpg

spider 2.jpg

These wheels were also made by StazWorks