In need of A/C help on a 2000 Wrangler TJ

Notch8022

I have all new components in the engine bay of my tj to replace the missing ac components.
I bought a compressor that has 2 oz of pag 100 in it. from what I have read online the entire system takes 6oz.
I have all new compents for my ac, EXCEPT the evaporator (which I flushed out)
My question is how much oil should be in compressor? the full 6oz? Will this oil travel through the rest of the system OR does certain areas need oil, like the accumulator and also the condenser?

Over my head, but stay tuned, we have some good folks on here that may know.. calling @Jerry Bransford , he is about as well rounded on mechanical knowledge as you will find

ive read that 6oz was needed for the whole system.
wonder if other areas are supposed to get oil, like the condenser and the evap.
I am not sure how the oil would even be added to these areas if that is the case.

There are 2 cavities in there, the high press and the low press.
Pour 6oz into the smaller low press. cavity, put back the plastic cap to temp seal it before you install the compressor unit. The bigger cavity is for the high press and that is where the R14a goes. The oil goes to the low press cavity.

Put a couple ounces in the condenser, accumulator & compressor to system capacity. I think I have a chart out of the FSM.
624F3DC7-E3E0-42BB-A769-A340F16A9ED1.jpg

Last edited:
on condenser, if its installed already in the jeep, how do I funnel oil into it and which hole the bottom one or the upper one?
I use clear vinyl tubing attached to a funnel. Don’t worry about it. Just add a little more to the accumulator.

on the condenser, if I add the .75oz per the chart, do I add this to the upper or lower line comining out of the condenser?
on the accumulator canister, which hole does oil get added to?
Sorry guys for my complete ignorance.

That looks like a universal kit, you won’t be using all of the pieces. On my 2004 there’s only six o-rings for all the connections.
752992C1-EE52-4712-8612-2E8EF1D9E84B.png

Last edited:
It's been a while since I physically messed with an A/C system. If I recall correctly the oil that comes in the compressor is sufficient to lube the compressor during the initial charge sequence and after it has been placed under vacuum, additional oil would be added before or during the charge process by the A/C recovery/charge machine. Or if you're doing it yourself while you are applying vacuum, before you charge the system.

Edit: it doesn't really matter where you add the oil, it circulates with the refrigerant so it will disperse through the whole system anyway.

Reactions: Notch8022
I got another dumb question, do this install between oring and the top of the dryer like a seal
or are they supposed to be put on line before the rubber oring to push the oring down to the dryer
Post a picture of the connector and I’ll be able to steer you in the right direction.