In search of a better ride

KcTj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
2005 lj with Rancho 3 1/2”-4” lift. Not a bad ride, a little jittery and maybe some bump steer. A Swayloc and Rancho 5000x(55255 and 55256) shocks will be installed next week. Also changing drop Pitman back to oem. Tire balancing to follow. Should one notice much difference in ride quality with these changes?

Reactions: JMT
Yes you will notice a ride quality difference with those changes but don't forget your tire air pressure... That makes a big difference too! I run 26 psi with 35" tires

How much do you want to spend? I can take you for a ride in my TJ and you might just have your mind blown in terms of ride quality 😉

Yes you will notice a ride quality difference with those changes but don't forget your tire air pressure... That makes a big difference too! I run 26 psi with 35" tires
I run the tires at 28 psi. I’m going to lower it to 26. It appears the Consensus is that there’s quite a change between 28 and 24.

Reactions: MikekiM and Ante_Up
How much do you want to spend? I can take you for a ride in my TJ and you might just have your mind blown in terms of ride quality 😉
Don’t want to spend much. We can compare rides next week after I get my Jeep back. I look forward to experiencing a quality ride.

Reactions: Chris
Been driving for a couple of weeks. Very nice. Feel more connected. Jeep powers through road irregularities under control. Still have steering wheel shimmy at around 25 mph. It used to shimmy at 55 mph. I must get tires balanced. @Chris “Trusted” tire balancing shop recommendations?

Reactions: JMT and TJ Starting
Been driving for a couple of weeks. Very nice. Feel more connected. Jeep powers through road irregularities under control. Still have steering wheel shimmy at around 25 mph. It used to shimmy at 55 mph. I must get tires balanced. @Chris “Trusted” tire balancing shop recommendations?
I’ve never had an issue with Discount Tire balancing my tires. Never once!

Reactions: Hopper
Got the tires balanced and rotated. Speed specific vibrations appear to have gone away. However… there now seems to be very small vibrations at all speeds. No weights were used on outside of wheels, only the inside. Do I need “more” balancing?

the location of the wheel weights (inner, outer) are based off where the machine senses an imbalance. If your wheels were balanced and you trust your shop it is time to asses the other rotational portions of your jeep. U-joints would be next for me.

I run the tires at 28 psi. I’m going to lower it to 26. It appears the Consensus is that there’s quite a change between 28 and 24.
I went from the OPs 35 psi to 28 psi and the difference is insanely better. And I still have the OPs Rough Country N3 shocks installed!

Truth told, I am surprised every time I get in the Jeep at just how well it drives...

Reactions: Ante_Up