Indy's 5.3 TJ

Another question, did your swap also include air conditioning? If yes, what parts from the donor vehicle did you use versus Jeep parts?

Thank you.

Another question, did your swap also include air conditioning? If yes, what parts from the donor vehicle did you use versus Jeep parts?

Thank you.
No AC in my Jeep. Also, the AC on the 5.3 will hit the frame rails in the Jeep. So you will have to relocate that if you want AC in your Jeep.

Hey Indy, so I just got my hands on 2002 Chevy Tahoe and I’m getting ready to the swap. My Jeep Wrangler Tj is a 98. I wanted to know what were your biggest hurdles and what were some unexpected issues? Thanks! Really excited on doing this swap

Hey Indy, so I just got my hands on 2002 Chevy Tahoe and I’m getting ready to the swap. My Jeep Wrangler Tj is a 98. I wanted to know what were your biggest hurdles and what were some unexpected issues? Thanks! Really excited on doing this swap
Biggest hurdles that I already knew about:
  • Changing the output shaft of the transmission.
    • You have to completely disassemble the transmission for this.
    • I took this as an opportunity to address the weak points of 4L60E.
    • Watched a bunch of YouTube videos.
    • Took my time understanding how this transmission works and went for it.
    • Still working as good as day 1 after 30,829 miles as of now.
  • Electrical work - wiring/ECU tuning
    • Removed Jeep's ECU, fuse box and gauge cluster to keep things much simpler. This definitely helped in getting it street legal by the referee.
    • Subscribed to https://www.alldata.com/diy/ento help with wiring and A LOT of other stuff.
      • This was a major source in mating Jeep's wiring to Chevy's.
    • Google was good source of specific issues
    • Bought HPTuners so I can remove/adjust stuff to my liking in the ECU.

Unexpected issues:
  • Exhaust must be routed the same way it is in the donor truck.
    • I thought routing didn't matter as long as all the O2 sensors and CATs are at the same distance as donor vehicle. So I initially routed the drivers side exhaust before oil pan and then into a Y on the passenger side. Referee failed me for that and asked me to reroute the exhaust the same way it came in the donor truck.
  • Don't forget to put the CARB sticker on the intake ... lol

Reactions: Wildman
Biggest hurdles that I already knew about:
  • Changing the output shaft of the transmission.
    • You have to completely disassemble the transmission for this.
    • I took this as an opportunity to address the weak points of 4L60E.
    • Watched a bunch of YouTube videos.
    • Took my time understanding how this transmission works and went for it.
    • Still working as good as day 1 after 30,829 miles as of now.
  • Electrical work - wiring/ECU tuning
    • Removed Jeep's ECU, fuse box and gauge cluster to keep things much simpler. This definitely helped in getting it street legal by the referee.
    • Subscribed to https://www.alldata.com/diy/ento help with wiring and A LOT of other stuff.
      • This was a major source in mating Jeep's wiring to Chevy's.
    • Google was good source of specific issues
    • Bought HPTuners so I can remove/adjust stuff to my liking in the ECU.

Unexpected issues:
  • Exhaust must be routed the same way it is in the donor truck.
    • I thought routing didn't matter as long as all the O2 sensors and CATs are at the same distance as donor vehicle. So I initially routed the drivers side exhaust before oil pan and then into a Y on the passenger side. Referee failed me for that and asked me to reroute the exhaust the same way it came in the donor truck.
  • Don't forget to put the CARB sticker on the intake ... lol
Thanks so much for the advice! Also, i noticed your intake was routed to a different to the rear? Did the intake come like this or did you have to make an elbow in order to make it bend like that? Could you post a pic of your exhaust? Going to be pulling the engine out of the Tahoe this month hopefully!

Thanks so much for the advice! Also, i noticed your intake was routed to a different to the rear? Did the intake come like this or did you have to make an elbow in order to make it bend like that? Could you post a pic of your exhaust? Going to be pulling the engine out of the Tahoe this month hopefully!
Intake came like that. Didn't modify it at all ... one less reason for the Referee to fail me. This is the one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DBVPY0/?tag=wranglerorg-20
20160826_192545.jpg

Here is the final version of the exhaust. It goes under the adapter that mates transmission to transfer case.
20161029_101918.jpg

Thanks Indy! I have been watching your YouTube channel and it’s badass! Hopefully I can have it done by the summer. Also, I’m assuming you kept your stock headers for the ref?

Thanks Indy! I have been watching your YouTube channel and it’s badass! Hopefully I can have it done by the summer. Also, I’m assuming you kept your stock headers for the ref?
Haha .. thanks. I'm not a YouTuber. Just made some videos to share with friends/family.

Stock truck headers will not work. They will hit firewall. I bought used OEM headers from 2010 Camero SS and they fit perfectly.

Indy, you've got a youtube channel? You didn't mention that, now I gotta go watch! 😸
Lol ... here it is: https://youtube.com/user/banipal19