Questions about 5.3 L83 swap

dndwyer

I know there are MANY threads on this but wanted some advice on another 5.3 swap. Seller has a 2016 5.3L Chevy L83 out a Silverado. Engine has 29K miles on it. Originally purchased for a swap in his JKU but things changed. Price is $2500 for motor alone with full harness and compter . Has an 2017 8L90E with it and the transfer case for another $2K. Trans has 20K miles on it. From what I have seen for an engine with that mileage the price for the engine is good.

I have a 2000 TJ that I am wanting to do this swap in. I do minor crawling as my build is just getting going. Currently have Dana 30 Front with Lockrite locker, and Dana 44 rear with Detroit Truetrac. Running 4.56 gears. 4.5" lift with SYE and new Rear driveshaft. Currently still running stock axles.

My questions are:
1.) Would any of you run the 8L90E in a TJ?
2.) Seller is not sure but I assume this still has the cylinder deactivation on it. Any idea on how hard this would be to remove?
3.) f I do not buy the 8L90E what transmission do you believe would be best for an L83?
4.) Ideally would like to keep the Dana 44 rear and just upgrade axles but what would you suggest for the front? Ford HP Dana 44 I know is nice but hard to come by. Would that work the Dana 44 Rear I have? Dont remember widths on each.

Thank you in advance.

If that transmission is anything like the 6 speed, that engine ECU may not like it if it didn't originally come with it.

It may also be too long for a TJ wheelbase.

If that transmission is anything like the 6 speed, that engine ECU may not like it if it didn't originally come with it.

It may also be too long for a TJ wheelbase.
@toximus That was some of my thoughts as well. Would definitely require some special tuning. I would ideally like the 4L60E or even a 6L80 but no reason to have an 8 speed in a TJ even if it did work.

I just finished a 5.3 with 4l60e and my first thought is the trans is too long but based on this website it's not https://paceperformance.com/p-28983-gm-transmission-dimensions.html

Gen 5 motors have cylinder deactivation and probably a bunch of other electronics that seem so complicated for a TJ. I would call Novak and ask them, they are the experts for sure. It should be a fun project for sure! If I had to do it over again, don't gasp, I would have probably gone JK for the extra room, width, and creature comforts. If you're changing the drive train anyway, I would have started there.

What's your overall budget?

I just finished a 5.3 with 4l60e and my first thought is the trans is too long but based on this website it's not https://paceperformance.com/p-28983-gm-transmission-dimensions.html

Gen 5 motors have cylinder deactivation and probably a bunch of other electronics that seem so complicated for a TJ. I would call Novak and ask them, they are the experts for sure. It should be a fun project for sure! If I had to do it over again, don't gasp, I would have probably gone JK for the extra room, width, and creature comforts. If you're changing the drive train anyway, I would have started there.

Planning on keeping this Jeep as it has sentimental value but I can totally understand the extra room in a JK.

Would like to do what I can to keep it around $5K. Wondering if I could get buy with just new chromoly axles in the Dana 30 and Dana 44 until I can save up enough for a different drive train. That is why I am wondering if I would be better off looking for an older vortec with some higher miles as with a $5K budget this new engine is half. Not a daily so it can sit for a while too.

Also forgot to mention I would be doing most of this work myself, minus welding new mounts, some harness work, etc.

Planning on keeping this Jeep as it has sentimental value but I can totally understand the extra room in a JK.

Would like to do what I can to keep it around $5K. Wondering if I could get buy with just new chromoly axles in the Dana 30 and Dana 44 until I can save up enough for a different drive train. That is why I am wondering if I would be better off looking for an older vortec with some higher miles as with a $5K budget this new engine is half. Not a daily so it can sit for a while too.

For what it's worth, I have stock Dana 30 and Dana 35 with no lockers, 4.56 gears with 35" tires and so far so good with the ls swap. I paid $2k for the drivetrain and then another $6-7k for the swap. That did include an SYE, two new driveshafts, a/c install, exhaust install, and $5k worth of Novak parts keeping stock gauges.

$5k in addition to the engine/trans or total but you're spending $4,500 on drivetrain?

My Dana 30 and Dana 44 both have LSD's with new 4.56 gearing so I would only upgrade the axle shafts. Everything else is new. Already have SYE and new rear driveshaft so would have to upgrade the front.

$5K is what I was hoping for Engine and trans doing most of the work myself but may be far fetched. Also why it would be tough for me to cough up half on the motor alone.

I don't think you need to mess with your axle shafts is my point, just my opinion, at least until they break, just leave them. Not sure how your tcase will work in the jeep but if you keep the 231j you have to use a new output shaft which means you have to take the auto apart to switch the shaft, plus the adapter to mate trans to tcase. you will need a new rear driveshaft since your tcase will move forward about 2 inches after the swap. You'll need radiator, fans, motor mounts, trans mount, new shifting linkage, and a bunch more. I just posted all my stuff to youtube if it helps you. I don't think $5k is realistic with a motor/trans that expensive. You will also need a bunch of little stuff like sensors, new fluids, etc, the trips to autozone add up!

Reactions: Bigmac
I don't think you need to mess with your axle shafts is my point, just my opinion, at least until they break, just leave them. Not sure how your tcase will work in the jeep but if you keep the 231j you have to use a new output shaft which means you have to take the auto apart to switch the shaft, plus the adapter to mate trans to tcase. you will need a new rear driveshaft since your tcase will move forward about 2 inches after the swap. You'll need radiator, fans, motor mounts, trans mount, new shifting linkage, and a bunch more. I just posted all my stuff to youtube if it helps you. I don't think $5k is realistic with a motor/trans that expensive. You will also need a bunch of little stuff like sensors, new fluids, etc, the trips to autozone add up!
Wow, first off great work on the Jeep! That looks and sounds awesome. But these videos you put together are extremely helpful. Just spent the last couple hours going through them and I will be referencing these for sure.
As enticing as that newer, low mileage engine is, I think I need to pass on this one and compile my list of parts a bit more as well as saving more $$
I will be interested to see if anybody does a newer L83 swap like this into a TJ but my guess is that will be more for the JK and JL world.
Thanks for the help everyone and if any of you know anybody that is looking for a newer L83 there is one for sale in Western Colorado.

Reactions: Longhorn84
I am doing the swap with 2017 l83 and 8l90 now in my 97 Jeep Wrangler Tj. Using the 231 transfer case bought the witring harness from PSI conversion sent them my Tom and ecu they programmed everything. Granted I’m not done yet but plug and play on the harness and it wired right up. Only thing I’m having to figure out now is the fuel system making sure it’s getting enough fuel pressure. Any suggestions on that would be great? Brother in law and I have all this our self.

Would like to do what I can to keep it around $5K. Wondering if I could get buy with just new chromoly axles in the Dana 30 and Dana 44 until I can save up enough for a different drive train.
Yes.
That is why I am wondering if I would be better off looking for an older vortec with some higher miles as with a $5K budget this new engine is half. Not a daily so it can sit for a while too.
Why not the 5.3 gen 3? It would be a lot cheaper and if weight matters to you, you can shed 80lbs by sourcing an L33 all aluminum block but that will effect your budget.

The 5.3 is a little more “simple” and doesnt have any of the cylinder deactivation guts.

I am doing the swap with 2017 l83 and 8l90 now in my 97 Jeep Wrangler Tj. Using the 231 transfer case bought the witring harness from PSI conversion sent them my Tom and ecu they programmed everything. Granted I’m not done yet but plug and play on the harness and it wired right up. Only thing I’m having to figure out now is the fuel system making sure it’s getting enough fuel pressure. Any suggestions on that would be great? Brother in law and I have all this our self.

I know this is old, but i was wondering what adapter you used for the 8l90E to the 231J Transfer Case?