Injector wire mystery (aka Got Dang Rabbits)

Griffin Murphy

Howdy jeepers. First post!

I've been a total lurker on this forum for years. I've always found what I need in other threads--Thar be much knowledge, which has helped me on many the occasion. However, this issue has been eluding me all winter and its specific enough that I've had trouble searching for similar experiences.

So, this is sort of a TLDR version but it might be a little convoluted.
The jeep was running fine. It sat unused for a week or two though, and the next time I tried to drive it, it had developed a bad misfire.
Turns out two of my injectors' had their wiring severed. I replaced the injector connectors and soldered the new pig tales to the old injector wires, but nothing changed. It throws a CEL and the codes read that I have a random misfire in every cylinder, but it also shows open circuits in the two I fixed. It drives, but still misses badly, and doesn't have much power.

I replaced the injectors on the two cylinders with open circuits, but discovered the old ones were fine. I double checked that the new ones weren't faulty from the factory. I tried different connectors and stripped the insulation off the harness to check individual wires for shorts. I put shrink tubing on them going back quite a distance. I Also replaced the Crank position sensor.

Now, this is where I easily might be missing something. I used a test light and found power in both wires right up to the connector on all cylinders. I removed them from the injectors and tested the connector pins themselves. Only the positive side showed power. That seems correct to me given that the pcm pulses to ground to complete the circuit, but my knowledge in the electric system is a bit limited. I saw no pulse on any injector. The light was either solid on or off. That said it is an old tool with an incandescent bulb so it might not be sensitive enough to show pulsing. I also used a voltmeter. The injectors that work but supposedly still misfire showed voltage but it did seem low. The two with open circuits showed no voltage at the connector.

I looked at the asd relay and the pcm, too, but I'm not sure not know what to look for exactly. They both appeared intact.

SO. The jeep ran perfectly fine prior. Then two injector connectors were damaged so I fixed them. Now every cylinder supposedly misfires and the two that were actually damaged seem to have the additional issue of an open circuit I can't seem to fix.

Could the two injectors that were chewed away have shorted and damaged the pcm? Would someone be willing to clue me in regarding how to check the asd and pcm and/or share some info about the electrics I tested?

I'm hoping someone sees something I'm missing or has some advice! Thanks in advance.

When you ohm the injector wires back to the pcm plug is it open? Could the wires have been chewed in other places? Especially ground wires to the block?