Inside door handles. Are they junk?

Rickster

I've owned most Jeep models, this is my first TJ. All Jeep's have characteristic glitches. The inside door handles on my 04 Rubi kind of POP when I open the doors, like they're half locked or something. Is that a TJ thing like CJ and YJ wipers that don't stop at the bottom of the windshield and sit halfway up?
Thanks

I have never heard of 'inside door handles kind of POP when opening the doors' as a TJ thing. Are you referring to the inside door latch handles (where the lock is) or the door handle straps lower down?

Sounds like there is a door latch mechanism that might be missing a connector. Also, is this happening on both doors?

I have never heard of 'inside door handles kind of POP when opening the doors' as a TJ thing. Are you referring to the inside door latch handles (where the lock is) or the door handle straps lower down?

Sounds like there is a door latch mechanism that might be missing a connector. Also, is this happening on both doors?
Sorry to quote you, but I've never heard of "door handle straps further down" whatever those are. I have a latch with the lock, an arm rest, and a cubby at the bottom for junk.
The rocker style lock is cheap and I usually have to use the key to lock it. My guess is it's the problem and is half locked or half unlocked. Just thought I'd toss that out.

Latch.jpg
I've owned most Jeep models, this is my first TJ. All Jeep's have characteristic glitches. The inside door handles on my 04 Rubi kind of POP when I open the doors, like they're half locked or something. Is that a TJ thing like CJ and YJ wipers that don't stop at the bottom of the windshield and sit halfway up?
Thanks

No it is not a TJ thing but it's been a while If I can still remember it.
The door latch inside and the rod end towards the lever swivel mechanism is assembled with a plastic clamp hook & clad bushing (for the lack of better word for I do not know the name). That rod at the end colored plastic can be adjusted bent to grab it tighter (shorter length or longer length) depending on how you want it.

Last edited:
Sorry to quote you, but I've never heard of "door handle straps further down" whatever those are. I have a latch with the lock, an arm rest, and a cubby at the bottom for junk.
The rocker style lock is cheap and I usually have to use the key to lock it. My guess is it's the problem and is half locked or half unlocked. Just thought I'd toss that out.
upload_2018-1-13_13-7-22.png

Probably what you are referring to as an arm rest. My arm doesn't rest there, though. Basically it's just a handle to pull the door shut. Based on what you're describing, it sounds like one of those connectors on the linkage inside the door might be missing or broken.

No it is not a TJ thing but it's been a while If I can still remember it.
The door latch inside and the rod end towards the lever swivel mechanism is assembled with a plastic clamp hook & clad bushing (for the lack of better word for I do not know the name). That white plastic can be adjusted to grab it tighter (shorter length or longer length) depending on how you want it.
Actually that makes perfect sense. I was going to I'll the panels anyway to see if speakers can be installed. I'll look at the rod to see if it can be adjusted. All I have are the two pathetic speakers in the roof console dealio. I was told there's supposed to be a woofer in the center console but mines gone. Not even a wire for it. Between the cheap useless speakers and the pathetic little Kenwood deck, that TJ has the worst sound system I've ever had in any car and I'm 60 years old I've had a lot of cars. My '52 Plymouth Cranbrook had better tunes.

Probably needs some adjustment and lubing. My guess is neither have been done since it rolled off the production line. Off road rigs are notorious for things going out of adjustment and/or building up crud on moving parts.

Not all TJ's came with the center sub but they should have speakers in the pods and in the dash. Replacing all of those, adding an amp, and a sub will provide some good tunes. Just remember, the TJ isn't known for being optimal in regards to sound quality. There a few thread here on stereo and speaker improvements.