Installed a UCF no body lift skid over the weekend

Rubicon locker pumps relocated last night. Took a couple hours but everything looks nice. I bought a coupler for the rear locker air line- I was going to extend it from old locker location to new, but after I got in there, it was only a few more minutes of work to replace The air line back to the rear diff.

Bracket from UCF worked great. Tested the lockers in the yard- my wiring and air lines work.

Drove up the street a couple miles and back- still can’t hear any vibes over the sound of wind and tires. I’m going to wait until the top and doors go back on to worry about it.

6E0C6DC2-E641-4B38-B29B-273617671E9A.jpeg

4D6B0DB8-B077-4309-8ABC-8E4664CA76A0.jpeg

Last edited:
Is it not possible to operate the rubicon lockers from that onboard air system? Or is that only with aftermarket lockers?
I think you can do either but the factory lockers take a good regulator, they only take a fraction of the pressure compared to aftermarket stuff. Most people just use the stock little pumps.

Reactions: Feralkid and Tob
So if a person was going to buy this, as well as a SYE\DCDS, would this affect driveshaft length measurements or would it matter at all?

Reactions: Alex01
So if a person was going to buy this, as well as a SYE\DCDS, would this affect driveshaft length measurements or would it matter at all?
Yes, raising the belly would affect the DS length.

So it seems like the smart thing is to swap the skids when installing the SYE?
Thats what I would do. TW has a fairly quick turn around if thats the route you go. I got mine 3 days after ordering it.

Reactions: Midtenn
Easily twice the weight of the stock skid. Stock is around 35#. I have the Ultra high clearance steel and it weighed in at 77#. On the up side the weight is down low.

Not Necessarily. UCF's no BL skid may put Transfer case output at the same height as factory.
On the 97-02, mines an 01, it raised it less than an inch. Since the 03-06 models have a more dropped stock skid it should raise it up more. My guess is 2" or so but I haven't installed one on a late model TJ so I'm not positive.

Funny thing this has popped up so many months later-

My LJ is not my daily driver. I do usually have it out at least once a week, but during the winter I may skip a week here or there due to weather.

Decided to drive it to work yesterday. The Jeep started right up, but had a funny noise- sounded like the fan hitting the shroud. Popped the hood and found the top two screws holding the fan shroud to the back of the radiator loose. I tightened them up, restarted the engine, and the noise was even worse. Looking at everything, it looks like the fan is hitting at the 6 o'clock edge of the shroud. I know raising the transmission changed all the geometry, but seems strange for an issue to appear this long after replacing the skid.

I guess the easiest fix is to lower the shroud?

Reactions: Alex01
Funny thing this has popped up so many months later-

My LJ is not my daily driver. I do usually have it out at least once a week, but during the winter I may skip a week here or there due to weather.

Decided to drive it to work yesterday. The Jeep started right up, but had a funny noise- sounded like the fan hitting the shroud. Popped the hood and found the top two screws holding the fan shroud to the back of the radiator loose. I tightened them up, restarted the engine, and the noise was even worse. Looking at everything, it looks like the fan is hitting at the 6 o'clock edge of the shroud. I know raising the transmission changed all the geometry, but seems strange for an issue to appear this long after replacing the skid.

I guess the easiest fix is to lower the shroud?
Yep, re-drill or elongate the holes in the shroud and reposition it.

Reactions: fooey and Alex01
My old tj had a belly up skid. It required quite a bit of work to install and get rid of the vibes.
It had a lot of lift, rubi t-case etc.

I was actually looking at the UCF aluminum No body lift skid to replace the shovel in my LJ.
Did you have to mod the exhaust in any way?

My old tj had a belly up skid. It required quite a bit of work to install and get rid of the vibes.

I was actually looking at the UCF aluminum No body lift skid to replace the shovel in my LJ.
The stock exhaust fit perfectly on my TJ.

Reactions: williambmac

I did not modify the exhaust. When I first installed, I thought everything was well clear. One of the guys above said to double check the exhaust hanger, looking from front towards rear. It does appear to be touching the tub. I have a heard a very slight rattle once or twice, but only with the hard top on. I run a soft top, or no top mostly, 7-8 months a year, so I haven't worried about the noise.

Reactions: williambmac