Installed Rancho 5000X shocks

Today I installed the Rancho 5000X shocks on my 2006 Rubicon with load range E tires with 25 psi. I removed OME Nitro shocks.
My objective was to improve my very harsh ride which is either a shock or tire issue or both.

I have only driven around the block and I do see an improvement. Not as much as I had hoped but later today I will take it down a road I travel every day which has some teeth jarring ripples in the asphalt.
I will update this thread after that short drive.

Did you have the older Nitro or the newer Nitro Sports?

I believe the older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in the same boat looking for new shocks. I have the OME light springs in rear and the OME heavy springs in front. Are you happy with the Rancho’s rather than going with the nitro charger sports?

I’m 90% daily driving at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m in the same boat looking for new shocks. I have the OME light springs in rear and the OME heavy springs in front. Are you happy with the Rancho’s rather than going with the nitro charger sports?

I’m 90% daily driving at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m happy with the Rancho’s but in my case my tires are the bigger issue. If I had load range C tires and made this shock change I think the difference in the shocks would be more apparent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
Take your time and go with Chis suggestion.i pulled my tank, gave me the room and access, well worth the extra hour. I was lucky, mine didn’t break! Cleaned and replaced them gr.8 for next time.

Don’t assume on the shock stroke with the ranches. I purchased the ranch’s 5000 with the stock stroke... I would suggest measuring then ordering.

I just replaced my OME Nitro Sport shocks with these Rancho 5000X shocks on the rear only. The right rear OME had made contact with the spring perch on one of my last off road events and was starting to leak, figured it was time to change and see what all the fuss was about. I decided to flip them like has been done by many, including Jerry, even though twin tube shocks shouldn't be run cannister up. So, I drove around the neighborhood and hit the speed (slow) bumps. My thoughts, well, the back of the Jeep just bounces away. Not good. Too soft? Inverted twin tubes don't work? I don't know, but it has been a learning experience and I will be moving on from these shocks ASAP.
My setup is OME heavy duty front and rear springs, extended bumpstops, JKS adjustable track bars front and rear. Adjustable upper JKS control rods rear, SYE. 33X10.5 BFG K02's (load C). Can't say I like how they ride.
Options for a better mono-tube shock that comes with the can up? Fox 2.0? Any others ?

-Patrick

IMG_20200405_184450.jpg

I just replaced my OME Nitro Sport shocks with these Rancho 5000X shocks on the rear only. The right rear OME had made contact with the spring perch on one of my last off road events and was starting to leak, figured it was time to change and see what all the fuss was about. I decided to flip them like has been done by many, including Jerry, even though twin tube shocks shouldn't be run cannister up. So, I drove around the neighborhood and hit the speed (slow) bumps. My thoughts, well, the back of the Jeep just bounces away. Not good. Too soft? Inverted twin tubes don't work? I don't know, but it has been a learning experience and I will be moving on from these shocks ASAP.
My setup is OME heavy duty front and rear springs, extended bumpstops, JKS adjustable track bars front and rear. Adjustable upper JKS control rods rear, SYE. 33X10.5 BFG K02's (load C). Can't say I like how they ride.
Options for a better mono-tube shock that comes with the can up? Fox 2.0? Any others ?

-Patrick

View attachment 151206

Rancho flat out says that they should not be flipped.

I know that, but when experienced guys like Jerry says that he has flipped them without issue, I figured I'd give it a go. I was hoping to get a bit of clearance to the spring perch without cutting it.

You could use lower shock extenders. I have them and they are fine.