Installing OEM Running Boards / Side Steps

TJoe

20210629_105145.jpg

My 99 SE never came with side steps, but I want to install some oem ones. I have these holes here already that line up with the step mounting holes that just go straight into the frame. I know I can't just drill bolts in but I have seen elsewhere that I may need nutserts or to use a tap, but I'm not sure which to do or what I'll need. Anyone else do this before?

Nutserts are what you need. Do a search for the size. When I needed hardware for my steps, I ordered a stainless hardware kit from Kentrol. Granted mine is an '06, so it uses those funny u-bolts, but it was an easy solution.

Nutserts are what you need. Do a search for the size. When I needed hardware for my steps, I ordered a stainless hardware kit from Kentrol. Granted mine is an '06, so it uses those funny u-bolts, but it was an easy solution.
Were you able to buy just the hardware or did you buy the whole kit with the steps?

I am considering taking mine off! the only thing they are good for is making the inside leg of your pants dirty as you step over them! :)
My new work 4x4 I specifically requested no side steps.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I am considering taking mine off! the only thing they are good for is making the inside leg of your pants dirty as you step over them! :)
My new work 4x4 I specifically requested no side steps.
Uh, they also protect your fender flares from chips; specifically the fronts of your rear fender flares. I had to have the painted fender flares on my '04 TJ Columbia Edition repainted because the PO removed them, and this is with tires that fully fit w/in the fender flares. When you turn your front wheels, small stones WILL fly out of your tires and chip those flares. If you don't care about same, so be it. Me, I'd rather throw my pants in the laundry a little more often, or wipe the edges of the side steps now & again...

Reactions: Fishtaco
Uh, they also protect your fender flares from chips; specifically the fronts of your rear fender flares. I had to have the painted fender flares on my '04 TJ Columbia Edition repainted because the PO removed them, and this is with tires that fully fit w/in the fender flares. When you turn your front wheels, small stones WILL fly out of your tires and chip those flares. If you don't care about same, so be it. Me, I'd rather throw my pants in the laundry a little more often, or wipe the edges of the side steps now & again...
OK I have the painted 4 1/4 flares so I wont remove the steps then lol
I wasn't sure why they had them on stock height TJ,s but now I know. :)

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Were you able to buy just the hardware or did you buy the whole kit with the steps?
I was able to buy just the hardware, but I had to call them to order it. My goofy little stainless u-bolts and everything else was like $50. I would imagine yours would be cheaper.

Reactions: TJoe
I was able to buy just the hardware, but I had to call them to order it. My goofy little stainless u-bolts and everything else was like $50. I would imagine yours would be cheaper.
Thanks a bunch! I ended up just ordering m8x1.25 rivet nuts from grainger hardware and got bolts and washers from Lowes. It was pretty cheap for the necessary hardware. Everything installed well and the steps are pretty sturdy.

20210708_065343.jpg

20210708_065338.jpg

View attachment 262220

My 99 SE never came with side steps, but I want to install some oem ones. I have these holes here already that line up with the step mounting holes that just go straight into the frame. I know I can't just drill bolts in but I have seen elsewhere that I may need nutserts or to use a tap, but I'm not sure which to do or what I'll need. Anyone else do this before?
Here was my resolve on this issue. I could not find you bolts to install my OEM running boards anywhere. Was going through the hardware store and saw one of these exhaust pipe hangers. I realized they were about the same width as the holes in my Jeep TJ frame. I got one and I tried it and it was almost exactly the same width. I bought four of them and started working on them at home. I put the first one in a vise and took a steel pipe and pulled down on it and expanded it about another eighth of an inch. Next I took a die I believe it was a 3/8-16 NC and threaded the clamp all the way up to the bend. Lastly I cut a little bit off of each end I believe I left 1" on the top end and 1-1/2" was what I left on the bottom. I will be using flat washers at the end and plastic end no slip nuts to keep them from backing off. I am hoping that my solution will help other Jeepers install their running boards without having to install nutzerts into the frame. Believe me I looked all over the Internet for almost a week and I could not find any of these u-bolts to install my OEM running boards. I hope this will help others, it will take a little work to make these but I think it's going to be the best resolve.

20231115_141304_HDR.jpg

20231115_151257_HDR.jpg

20231115_141240_HDR.jpg

20231115_141253_HDR.jpg

20231115_175702.jpg

Here was my resolve on this issue. I could not find you bolts to install my OEM running boards anywhere. Was going through the hardware store and saw one of these exhaust pipe hangers. I realized they were about the same width as the holes in my Jeep TJ frame. I got one and I tried it and it was almost exactly the same width. I bought four of them and started working on them at home. I put the first one in a vise and took a steel pipe and pulled down on it and expanded it about another eighth of an inch. Next I took a die I believe it was a 3/8-16 NC and threaded the clamp all the way up to the bend. Lastly I cut a little bit off of each end I believe I left 1" on the top end and 1-1/2" was what I left on the bottom. I will be using flat washers at the end and plastic end no slip nuts to keep them from backing off. I am hoping that my solution will help other Jeepers install their running boards without having to install nutzerts into the frame. Believe me I looked all over the Internet for almost a week and I could not find any of these u-bolts to install my OEM running boards. I hope this will help others, it will take a little work to make these but I think it's going to be the best resolve.

View attachment 474503

View attachment 474504

View attachment 474505

View attachment 474506

View attachment 474507

Good find and great job!

Here is the follow-up to my running board installation project. Those homemade u-bolts worked absolutely fantastic. One thing to note when installing these you have to keep a finger on the bolt at all times when you are installing so they won't slip through into the frame. My recommendation is to go to the hardware store and get some of those grabber washers and put them on the threaded bolts once you insert them into the frame so they won't draw back down into the frame. I was very fortunate and took my time and did not lose a u-bolt inside of the frame. Good luck with this project and I hope this is a good u-bolt hack for those of you out there.

20231117_101956.jpg

20231117_101843~2.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom