Instrument Cluster Connector

freedomeagle

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Like many of you, I am experiencing the erratic behalf of the instrument cluster on my '99 Wrangler SE. I've researched alot of the posts on here and yesterday decided to pull the dash to add some LED lights as well as take a gander at the connectors. While there, I bent all the pins a bit, added some dielectric grease, took some pics and closed her back up to do some more research.

It appears that no one has been in my dash since it was built at the factory. I didn't see any evidence of C1 being changed as per the TSB. I didn't actually pull the connectors out (Because I couldn't figure out how to get them out without breaking the tabs until I looked at YouTube today) but I was able to use my phone to take pictures up behind the connectors from the perspective of looking up from the floor and I didnt see any evidence that the wiring harness to the connectors had been tampered with....so I have a few questions.

1. Since the issues come and go, I am thinking part of the issue make actually be the ground. The wiring diagram from the Tech Manual shows it on the lower drivers side under the speaker, but damn if I can figure out an easy way to access it. Any suggestions?

2. In the tech manual, it shows the C1 as the green and it appears in the drawing the main tab is up (see pic1) and the numbering nomenclature starts on the right 1-5 and 6-10. However, on my SE, it appears that the main tab on Green C1 that correlates to the drawing, is mounted with the tab down (see pic2). Do you think nomenclature will actually be , from right left top pin 10-6 and then 5-1 or will it be as in the drawing.

3. Has anyone one here who actually pulled a separate ground from both C1 and C2, pins 6 and 9, and hard wired the ground directlly. If so, what were your results?

84850878.gif

IMG_9485.jpg

The pin out position identifies the location of the individual pins with reference to the locking tab, not the orientation of the plug.
#1 is still #1, etc.
1696542950934.png

Reactions: MountaineerTom
The pin out position identifies the location of the individual pins with reference to the locking tab, not the orientation of the plug.
#1 is still #1, etc.
View attachment 463405

Thats what I thought but just wanted to double check with the experts since most of the YouTube videos and pics I’ve seen show the connector oriented 180 degrees from mine. I’ll double check with the colored wires as well when I go back in.

I still cant get the connectors out. I've tried most everything I have found on the net and YouTube, primarily focusing on the large tab at the bottom. I push it in, pull it out, pinch the clips on the side and still have been unsuccessful. However, I read the TSB and noticed the detailed description about oxidation on the pins of the connectors so I thought I would go ahead check mine out.

This picture is of the pins prior to cleaning. Notice the oxidation on the tips of the pins in the area circled in blue.
IMG_9506rev.jpg

In the TSB, they said to scrape the oxidation off using a flat blade screwdriver and not to use sandpaper, wire brush, etc because it would scrape the plating off the pins. This photo is after I cleaned them.
IMG_9507rev.jpg

Before putting back in, since the connectors had some play in them, before putting back in, I passed a toothpick behind each connector to firm it up some. I forgot to take a picture after the toothpick "install" but I pushed it between the connector and the mounting plate across the top. The blue line in the pic below shows about where I pushed it in...and all the way across so the same toothpick is behind both the right and left tab on the connector. I also added a tad of di-electric grease to the pins.

IMG_9485rev.jpg

Finally, I am still of the mindset that both the instrument panel cluster issue as well as the erratic operation of the radio are somehow ground related. I haven't been able to seperate out the radio erractic behavior from the IC because they both seem to behave in-tandem, ie the instrument cluster acts up and the radio quits working...or the clock acts funky.. In my quest to find the IC ground, on page 8W-40-2 of the Tech Manual, the wiring diagram shows that the ground is labeled as G201 in the ground diagrams using a black and light green wire.

Instrument Cluster 1999 TJ Electronic Service Manualrev.jpg

Page 8w-90-22 shows the actual location of this ground, appearing to be under the dash and just below the drivers side speaker.

ground locationrev.jpg

I searched all in this area and couldn't find it. I even got out a miniture camera and passed it behind the dash looking for it. Couldn't find anything that looked close to it. Finally, I decided to go through the front to see what I could see. I removed the two screws on the driver's door side of the panel covering the front speaker. After removing the two screws, just slowly pull on the bottom and the bottom releases. Continue gently pulling and the top tab will release and it will come right off. Lo behold, when I pulled it off and pulled the foam speaker insulation back, I found the IC ground. At least in a stock 1999 Wrangler SE, its on the front side of the dash, not behind it. I took it off and all the wires were tight, I cleaned the connectors good and added some di-elec grease. Here's a pic of the ground. Note the two light green wires and two black. That matches the wire diagram. The grounds on both the C1 and C2 connectors use a light green wire.

IMG_9500.jpg

In wrapping this up....I think the jury is still how on how effective, if at all, my efforts are in solving the IC issues. I think I need to drive a bit to see. The radio is still erratic but I really don't know if that is a separate issue or somehow connected to the Instrument Cluster.

My two questions are:
1. Does anyone have a diagram, pic or know of a YouTube video that accurately portrays removing the connectors? I intend to wait to see what, if anything, happens next before tackling this but want to be prepared just in case.

2. Does anyone have or had erratic factory installed radio (its AM/FM with digital clock and cassette tape player...LOL) behavior that was associated with the Instrument Cluster issue? Either way, what were your "symptoms" and how did you fix?

IMG_9485rev.jpg

I had an intermittent issue with the cluster and gauges. Needles would drop out and I would get no bus in the odometer

A sharp smack on the top of the cluster would typically resolve it. I did as the OP did.. pulled it all apart, cleaned the contacts and applied dielectric gel. The problems been resolved..

My question.. in a few of the images above there is a ground strap shown in the lower right corner. Does anyone know where the other end of this strap attaches to a ground point? I ask because today I had the center stack trim off to work on switches and I have a loose ground strap hanging behind the stock switch panel. Just hanging there..

I had an intermittent issue with the cluster and gauges. Needles would drop out and I would get no bus in the odometer

A sharp smack on the top of the cluster would typically resolve it. I did as the OP did.. pulled it all apart, cleaned the contacts and applied dielectric gel. The problems been resolved..

My question.. in a few of the images above there is a ground strap shown in the lower right corner. Does anyone know where the other end of this strap attaches to a ground point? I ask because today I had the center stack trim off to work on switches and I have a loose ground strap hanging behind the stock switch panel. Just hanging there..

According to the TSM, it is the ground for the radio. I unscrewed mine and cleaned it good and put it back with di-elect grease

According to the TSM, it is the ground for the radio. I unscrewed mine and cleaned it good and put it back with di-elect grease

My bad...actually, I think its the antenna ground..If you look behind your glove box, you should see it connected to the antenna

My bad...actually, I think its the antenna ground..If you look behind your glove box, you should see it connected to the antenna

LOL... that explains that. I never use the radio.

LOL. Sorry. Ill defer to tr21. Figures 17 and 18 on 8w90-22 and 80w-90-23 in the TSM shows you the grounds for the radio which actually tie into connectors 1 and 2 of the Instrument Cluster which is grounded at point (below the speakers on the drivers side) G201 as shown above.