Instrument cluster doesn't like to stay on

Lathimdalton

I've got a 2003 wrangler and whenever you start it the instrument cluster will usually turn on, but with shut off and turn back on randomly.

Seperate problem:
Whenever I have the key in accessory position my radio will turn on, but with the key in the on position it will never turn on, I have taken it out and cleaned it but that didn't work

ANOTHER Separate problem:
My odometer does not correctly count my miles, I drove around 60-100 miles and it turned over 20-30 miles.

#1. Pull the dash and remove instrument panel. Clean the pins on the panel and the harness. Look for any wires that are loose at the connector
#2. Pull your radio and check the yellow and red wires are right. If you have an amp check the purple wire from the radio goes to the amp.
#3. Not sure if you have a cable or not, but check that the cable is in correctly and tight at the transfer.
Hope at least 1 of these works for you. Too early and pre- coffee for me to focus my eyes completely yet.🤔

Reactions: Chris
#1. Pull the dash and remove instrument panel. Clean the pins on the panel and the harness. Look for any wires that are loose at the connector
#2. Pull your radio and check the yellow and red wires are right. If you have an amp check the purple wire from the radio goes to the amp.
#3. Not sure if you have a cable or not, but check that the cable is in correctly and tight at the transfer.
Hope at least 1 of these works for you. Too early and pre- coffee for me to focus my eyes completely yet.🤔
Thank you for the suggestions I will get to work on those as soon as possible!

The problem with the radio working in the Accessory position, but not in the run position could be an indication that the ignition switch contacts are either oxidized or are going bad.... The instrument cluster going on and off also could be another indication that the ignition switch contacts are going bad. There have been several forum members that have had similar issues.

Reactions: pagrey and Chris
The problem with the radio working in the Accessory position, but not in the run position could be an indication that the ignition switch contacts are either oxidized or are going bad.... The instrument cluster going on and off also could be another indication that the ignition switch contacts are going bad. There have been several forum members that have had similar issues.
I guess I'm checking out the ignition switch in the future as well.

Reactions: pagrey
I have the same problem with odometer. Previous years it used to count normally but after very humid winter i guess it started counting in miles, or it was just me with fake memory. Cluster is in kms. Today i made 30-35 kms travel to downside from moutain to train station and back which is counted by map app but odo shows different. I noted that even with street highway signs and other orients , odo clearly lies if its in kms

I replaced my ignition switch and the radio doesnt work at all any more, I think I may have gotten a faulty ignition switch, but it still starts and all that

After extensive testing we found that my key tumbler and key are worn and I'm not getting good connections inside, so if there is no weight on the key I have no more problems