Interior light question

Boomer453

TJ Enthusiast
How are the interior lights intended to work? Currently only the sound pod lights work on the roll bar, no under dash lights.
The ignition switch has a lot of slop in it and to turn on the lights I have to turn it the key counterclockwise all the way back and then forward one "notch" for the interiors to come on. Going to have a go at it today and see if I can get the under dash lights sorted.

Sounds like fuse #4 is missing which allows you to take the doors off without the lights and door alarm coming on. That’s why you have to turn the stalk all the way. Just put a fuse in and they should operate as normal.

As for the footwell lights, some people take those out. Are they even there? They would be mounted directly to the underside of the dash.

The footwell lights are located in little black cones where the colored dash ends at the bottom. Run your hands under the edge of the dash. You'll feel two little upside down cones. Held in by one screw each. They probably just took the bulbs out. Good time to put in LED's. As detailed on this page of the LED replacement thread. Read the whole thread if you want to know how to do this. This page shows the footwell light sockets.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-your-jeep-wrangler-tj-with-leds.9149/page-12

My TJ did not have the footwell lights. I picked some up off of E-Bay for about ten bucks apiece and installed them with LED bulbs. Added a kill switch in the dash so I do not have to pull fuse 4 when the doors are off.
Lou

When I bought my Jeep, it had the light fixtures under the dash, but no bulbs. It wasn't till I stuck me head under there & found the fixture, then installed bulbs in them, that I even knew about the lights under there.
I have removed the #4 fuse & all those lights still work fine.