Intermittent Air Bag light and A/C not working

tigger1114

Supporting Member
Good morning TJ Forum! I’m a new member with my first big question and request for assistance. When I purchased my 2004 TJ (4.0) I replaced all the wear items (fluids, hoses belts, etc.) as it still had the original hoses and belts. I also replaced the O2 sensors (thanks to this forum for steering me to NTK) and a lower blower relay for my A/C has it wasn’t working at low speeds. I also replaced my tires (shout out to Member Jerry for the great info on proper tire inflation)!

My problem now is that about 70% of the time, when I start the vehicle, about 5-7 seconds after ignition, the passenger airbag light signal beeps and that airbag light illuminates. Every time this occurs, my A/C and heater no longer work. Yesterday, I started it, no light A/C worked fine. Stopped for a bit, started up again, passenger airbag signal beeps and light came on- no A/C.

I took it to an auto shop I trust, where they do some, but not a lot of work on Jeeps. They told me it could have something to do with the ignition switch. They advised a fair bit of electronics run through the switch and I should consider that as a problem. I noticed when I tried to turn the key to accessory that it doesn’t work unless I push the key in a little further and hat it is also a little difficult to remove. This same shop replaced my turn signal/wiper stalk and got my fog lights and cruise control operating again, so they do have some knowledge of the TJ. Has anyone else had this issue or suggestions to help? Thanks in advance and I apologize for the long post.

Your mechanic is probably correct. The Hulk (my 2001 Forest Green Pearl) was having these exact symptoms, and they were all fixed by replacing the ignition switch. Ordered the replacement from Rockauto.com, and did it myself after watching a video in the How To section, and some Youtubing. I think it was all of 45 minutes to do.

Your mechanic is probably correct. The Hulk (my 2001 Forest Green Pearl) was having these exact symptoms, and they were all fixed by replacing the ignition switch. Ordered the replacement from Rockauto.com, and did it myself after watching a video in the How To section, and some Youtubing. I think it was all of 45 minutes to do.
Thanks, and you correct! It took a little longer than 45 minutes (fat fingers) but it worked perfectly. And RockAuto rocks!

Good to hear you got it sorted. I had similar problems and it took me months to find someone to repair it - in the UK most shops ‘don’t do Jeeps'. Eventually got someone good but with a 3 months wait.

The problem is definitely in the ignition switch assembly. Most likely the contacts inside the switch are oxidized OR there is a slight misalignment between the individual parts of the ignition switch assembly (mechanical ignition actuator and the electrical ignition switch).