Intermittent Engine noise under load

Winks42

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys, I’ve been trying to chase this noise my engine makes ever since I bought the jeep. The noise is a tick/rattle that comes from the engine whenever I lug the engine a little (1600-1900 rpms) or I start from a stop on an incline. Basically whenever the engine is under stress

but this doesn’t always happen, sometimes it sounds strong and doesnt tick even if I do lug it a little bit, thats why im so confused.

This might be answered with “shift at higher rpms”(I normally shift at 2700-3000rpm) but I just wanna make sure nothing else is going on and if I should look anywhere.

one more thing I wanna add, My oil pressure is always around 60psi while driving at 2k rpms and will slowly go down to around 50 and go a little below 40 when idling. I know the pressure is supposed to fluctuate but does 60 seem high? Its been in the 60s all week so its not too cold, running 10w30. I don’t know if this is relevant information, just making sure.

last note is the engine had 230k miles, So noises are expected, i just wanna try to identify what is making the noise. Thanks

I'd look for anything loose under the hood. The evap canister bracket on my 97 rattles under load. It might not be the engine itself but something rattling at the vibration of those rpms/lugging.

Pop the hood and flat hand soft whack the support struts that go over the engine. That's the easiest way I've found to finding a loose item mounted to the body.

I'd look for anything loose under the hood. The evap canister bracket on my 97 rattles under load. It might not be the engine itself but something rattling at the vibration of those rpms/lugging.

Pop the hood and flat hand soft whack the support struts that go over the engine. That's the easiest way I've found to finding a loose item mounted to the body.
Thanks, I did try to move everything around by shaking everything that may have gotten loose. My Evap canister doesn't budge and couldn’t find anything that could move, my motor mounts themselves look good too.

But to add it feels as if I lose a little power when it has its ticking session, I’m trying to upload a video but I cant seem to upload it here, I will try to send a YouTube video link when I can.

Also this is an extremely stupid question but because my fuel pump is on its way out can it sometimes run the engine a little lean and that’s what I’m hearing? I doubt its hard to tell without a video but I’m not sure if that even a thing.

That is referred to as Pre Detonation which is usually due to combustion chamber carbon build up. You can try using Combustion Chamber Cleaner such as the factory Mopar CCC or Seafoam.
Depending upon how bad your combustion chamber carbon build up is; removal may take a couple doses of cleaner.

Pre ignition or pre detonation sounds worse than it is and its a very rapid short rattle/knock usually under load
Try putting higher octane gas in for next fill up half regular half high octane, if it stops have your timing adjusted.

Pre ignition or pre detonation sounds worse than it is and its a very rapid short rattle/knock usually under load
Try putting higher octane gas in for next fill up half regular half high octane, if it stops have your timing adjusted.
The distributor base is pinned and the timing is not adjustable other than slightly when replacing the distributor you need to put an alignment tool is thru the distributor internal plate and body or IF the distributor was replaced and the distributor was installed a tooth out.

My wife's newish car has pe ignition sometimes and we have to run high octane every now and then, I didn't know the early tj,s couldn't have the timing adjusted.