Internal frame cleaning

Kenneth G Zinis

TJ Enthusiast
Guys,

What are good ways to remove scale/rust from inside TJ frame.

Mine is '03 with drain holes so it's totally solid but I want to tidy up before I spray it with lanolin product.

I'd rather not drill holes at rear bumper unless necessary.

Currently thinking of using drill powered sewer snake with a few chain links on the tip, working through the existing elongated slots on frame. See link. Blow out with leaf blower when done.

Go to a car wash, or rent a pressure washer. Stick it into one of the holes and start flushing in all directions. If yours is totally solid, spray and repeat the process regularly.
What that guy is doing in the video is beneficial for getting rid of rust flakes, as you can see his frame has seen better times. Doing so will make his inside surface as smooth as possible to assure that coating product will cover all metal surface and not be stuck on rust flakes.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
Go to a car wash, or rent a pressure washer. Stick it into one of the holes and start flushing in all directions. If yours is totally solid, spray and repeat the process regularly.
What that guy is doing in the video is beneficial for getting rid of rust flakes, as you can see his frame has seen better times. Doing so will make his inside surface as smooth as possible to assure that coating product will cover all metal surface and not be stuck on rust flakes.
eastbloc, thanks, yeah I've pressure washed inside and out, all directions, maybe I'm overthinking this

In case they're helpful, my notes on doing this are here.

I'd also keep in mind that if you're going with a lanolin product, you don't need to worry as much about a perfectly smooth surface as you might with paint.