Intro and questions about my first TJ

Privateer

New member but not new to jeeps with my first post. I’ve had 4 YJs prior to this point.

I currently have a nice 1994 YJ with a mild 2-1/2” OME build. I use it as my hunting, fishing and exploring rig.

I just bought my first TJ, a bone stock, rust free 97 TJ. It has 118,000 miles and is a 4.0 5-speed just like my YJ. I like how its’s smoother on the highway and has factory AC.

Based on nice my OME lift is on my YJ and what I’ve read here I’m thinking of going with the 2” OME springs and RS5000x shocks.

I intend to run 31” tires. This setup works well for where I go and the activities I enjoy.

A few questions -

Which model # shocks do I need? Is there a specific length shock for the front and rear?

What other parts should I order? Spacers for front springs? Rear track bar relocation bracket?

Thank you in advance for the help.
5D18F239-ABE9-4A27-9985-D2F004A42943.jpeg
5EE7F01F-36A4-48F6-9111-85B78D3A2684.jpeg
36810660-0301-4650-8382-F1E295A035BF.jpeg

Reactions: b0xcar and KCsTJ
You'll want the Rancho RS55241 shocks for the rear. Both of those will work with the 2" OME springs just fine, and it will be a great riding setup.

You can also purchase them together as a set:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JBLREPW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

With a 2" lift, you don't really need adjustable track bars or relocation brackets. Your axles will be off about 1/4" laterally, but you really won't even notice it. Yes, you could get adjustable track bars, but there would be no real benefit to them, unless that 1/4" will bother you (it wouldn't bother me).

You will however need to adjust your bump stops, but you can do that with cheap hockey pucks. All you really need is the springs and the shocks. I would get a bunch of washers though, as you'll likely need to drop your transfer case just a bit to prevent vibrations, unless you plan on installing a SYE and DC driveshaft.

For 31" tires, a 2" lift will be perfect!

Rancho 55239 front and 55241 rear
Rear trackbar relocation bracket
Adjustable front trackbar
2” bumpstops

man I love that YJ, the more time goes by the more I admire them which wasn't always the case. It wasn't until I got my TJ that I realized how similar these two Jeeps really are, at least proportionately, & how different they are than everything that has come along since... I'd love to get my hands on a really clean one, though the TJ already keeps me pretty poor :roto2rie:

2942 rear
2933 front

But I’d consider 2934 front if you’re going to add a winch and aftermarket front bumper.

Otherwise, if you want a leveling spacer up front you might do the OME 10mm spacers

A follow up question -
Since I already have a yj that’s lifted, what would I need to do if I wanted to just llevel the TJ or lift it 1”?
Could I buy new Rancho RS5000X shocks and just add spacers for the springs?

If so which shocks and spacers? And would I still need a bump stop?

A follow up question -
Since I already have a yj that’s lifted, what would I need to do if I wanted to just llevel the TJ or lift it 1”?
Could I buy new Rancho RS5000X shocks and just add spacers for the springs?

If so which shocks and spacers? And would I still need a bump stop?

At only 1" of lift, you wouldn't even need new shocks to be honest. You could just get new springs 1" coil spring spacers like these ones:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JBPA3LK/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JBP5PY0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You would however need to add the right amount of bump stop, no way around that.

Reactions: Alex1985