Invested a TJ into my future

asears1991

Hey all!

So my name's Alex and I'm a welder for General Dynamics Electric Boat. We build submarines for the US Navy. I work on jobs exclusively related to pressure hull integrity, ballast tanks, and sea pressure valves and tanks. I've ran beads with probably 75-80% of the processes and filler wires out there. From processes that shield the arc by basically dumping kitty litter on it to alloy stick rods that wont fuse at the toes not matter what and leave your next chest x-ray looking like a picture of a Montana night's sky (if you're too cool for resp protection or whatever those cancer ridden idiots say) and everything in between. With that being said I'm more than happy to offer any help or info I can with welding questions anyone might have.

Someone once told me, "Never make a major purchase that you can't make a profit return on". Now I've always dreamed of owning a TJ I6 4.0 manual and finally had the full capital to grab a 2001 with 130k miles. The end goal of this purchase is to start my own mobile welding repair business. I went with this Jeep because it already had 33" mudders which would've been my first purchase on anything else I looked at as to not limit my ability to access future job sites. Being in New England there's no avoiding rust and rot. I was lucky to find something with no true rot but to ensure success as I begin this chapter in my life I'll be looking to replace my most important components piece by piece. I'm here to learn the best methods and collect advice from other TJ enthusiasts.

I'm familiar with forum etiquette and have already been doing some research finding info I'll need moving forward. However, anyone that happens to read this and is feeling kind enough to dump a bunch of links in a reply would be highly appreciated.

My biggest hurdle so far is where to start. The previous owner definitely just wanted flash because the only mods are 33" tires, the most inconsiderate incorrectly wired HIDs I've ever had the misfortune of ruining everyone's eyesight with, and a grille guard.

I'm debating between some suspensions repairs and the ring an pinion gearing as my starting point. The suspension isn't terrible but doesn't appear to have ever been worked on as the rubber is pretty rough in most places so I'm concerned with reliability in tough access job sites. I've just learned in the past few hours more than I have ever known about differentials and gearing and I believe I have 100% identified my other concern. I have no balls on the highway, top speed of like 75 on level ground, no acceleration in 5th on any uphill (in fact I lose speed no matter what), and a highway efficiency of about 12.5MPG. So I'm thinking I need a different ring and pinion gear ratio with these 33s.

Anyone kind enough to offer advice and recommendations please keep in mind that I likely wont be doing any intentional crawling or climbing obnoxious grades. So I'm more concerned with reliability and mid grade durability than anything along the lines of performance parts. Also this is a vehicle I wouldn't mind having for a very very long time just fixing things as the break because damn do I love TJs.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, anyone who does. Have a wonderful day and stay healthy!

This thread is worthless without pics

And welcome from Washington!
As far as re-gearing, it's something that you really only want to do once so knowing your desired tire size is important. For 33's, I'd suggest 4.56 or 4.88, the later giving you a little higher rpm's.
As for lifting/suspension, I would suggest doing something that maintains the factory wheel travel, which i believe is 4" up/down.

These are good starting points
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.733/https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...angler-tj-lj-and-other-re-gearing-faqs.17063/

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! There's a lot of welders on here, and a lot of TJ owners, so you're in the right place!

Will you be able to fit all your mobile welding gear in a TJ? Seems like it would be a bit small and a truck would be a better option. Still, I don't blame you, I would have made the same decision, rational or not.

Check out the TJ Resources and TJ How-to Guides forums. I specifically organized all the best informational and resource threads into those forums, so you can benefit by reading almost every single thread in those forums, I guarantee it.

You'll find I'm very organized with the site, so if you go through them, I think you'll be impressed (y)

Reactions: Vasq
Welcome aboard. I spent a good portion of my life vacationing at Weekapaug. Love the area. You may need a utility trailer for your welding gear. I'd go with 4.88 gearing myself.

Welcome to the madness -Cheers

I was recently lead to this YouTube video via similar channels I follow. Found it informative for wheel size, gearing and axels- dont let the title throw you off. There’s info for 33” tires at the 7 minute mark:

Thank you all kindly for the welcomes!

As far as my welding set up will go I'll likely just build myself a small platform with drop down legs that will hook into my trailer hitch and then remove the back seat to utilize that space also.

When reading through the regearing thread (which was very helpful) I'm developing the idea that 3.73 might be best for me as a daily driver. I don't really have any passion or interest in crawling specifically. Just want to be able to get through muddy areas and forest trails while retaining some fuel efficiency. I haven't had the time to confirm what my current gear ratio is because the label plate was sprayed heavily with under body protection. However after reading the thread on stock specs I'm thinking I'll be alright for now and can lower that priority for my intended use. I think I'm going to start down this road by replacing my suspension components first. I honestly don't think I'll even need to necessarily lift it as opposed to just putting quality parts at stock height (please correct me and call me an idiot if I'm wrong, I benefit greatly from criticism haha).

When reading through the regearing thread (which was very helpful) I'm developing the idea that 3.73 might be best for me as a daily driver.

I’ve got a 5 speed manual and 3.73 gears with 33” Duratracs. For me, those gears feel what I consider close to perfect. But I also have nothing to compare it to, other than when it was stock. Then, it felt like I was driving a truck. Shifting in the low gears was shorter. Other Jeepers probably prefer that. As a highway / get around + offroad a couple times a year Jeep, Im perfectly fine with the 3.73’s.

Welcome to the forum from CT...

We had a similar build process that you are considering... our TJ is used 90% on paved roads the rest is gravel / dirt logging roads or on the beach, so we opted to go pretty stock with the suspension with only a few upgrades.

Most everything we did was either from reading post on this forum or from direct recommendations from the incredible people on here... tons of knowledge...

We did go with H&R springs which add about an inch of height & some 3/4" spacers... this was under $300 for front & rear springs & spacers..
H & R Springs # 52107 1" Lift Spring Kit Front & Rear
Moog k160060 Rear Spring Insulators
Moog k160039 Front Upper Coil Spring Insulator
.75" Coil Spring Spacer Kit, fits TJ 1993 to 2006 2/4WD, Black

Crown Control Arm Kit #CAK13 - Front & Rear Upper & Lower (this is a complete kit with new bushing)

Track Bars & Links - Front & Rear:
Moog DS1235 Front Track Bar DS1235
Front Links - Rubicon Express Sway Bar Disconnects RE1130
Moog DS1461 Rear Track Bar DS1461
Moog K80244 Rear Track Bar Links K80244
Monroe SC2928 Magnum Steering Damper SC2928

We also did the ZJ Tie Rod upgrade
Moog DS1312 Tie Rod DS1312
Moog ES2079S Adjusting Sleeve ES2079S
Moog ES3096L Tie Rod End ES3096L
Moog ES2079S Adjusting Sleeve ES2079S
Moog ES3096L Tie Rod End ES3096L
Moog DS1430 Drag Link DS1430

We are currently running 2018 Sahara 18" Rims with Bridgestone Duelers 255/70/18

The jeep sits a little higher which worked well for the tires & it rides & handle great for our uses... again, like you very little / mild off-road... (I'm sure I have a complete part number build list if you want it but the above are the basics of what we did...)

Jeep 99.jpg

Look up @CodaMan 's build for more references. Welcome to the forum. Consider dropping down a tire size to say 32's. That would help give it some more pep.

Reactions: CodaMan