Is a 2.5 manual '97 Jeep Wrangler TJ worth buying?

iamthecrazychild

Now, I know to some of you this may seem like a stupid question but please hear me out. I plan on making this my everyday car. It gets the same gas mileage as my current car so gas money isn't the issue. I take the freeway to work every day and plan on taking it camping, meaning I will drive up hills and such. Is this investment going to be something I regret? I look at jeeps as an investment and am looking into changing it into an Automatic with a more powerful engine in the future, just not the near future. Thank you in advance for your advice. *ETA I am pretty young and going to college so I am looking for a slightly practical car, but I do love off-roading and jeeps so please don't tell me I am looking into the wrong type of car; I have done plenty of research and know what Jeeps entail.

for the condition it's in, yes. It only has 100k miles, a perfect paint job, some newer features, and is only 8k. with the current market that seems like a steal to me. All other TJs i have found have been 10-15k if not more.
My first thought is shop far away from LA.
8k for a 100k 2.5 is high. That’s a 4-6k truck on the east coast

Driving it on the freeway and hills? Big, big mistake if it’s a 2.5.

Don’t believe me? Buy it and find out for yourself 😉

You’ll just love that 4 cylinder on hills and highways 😆

Reactions: Joeinnewjersey

Mostly down hills

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
ok good to know! I'll definitely expand my search radius then!
Idk, here in AZ that would sell pretty quick. The sun damages paint very easily here so it’s always a plus when you find one without sun damage.

I had a YJ 2.5 that sucked in open interstate due to crosswinds but did fine on in-town freeways. It was on 31s and stock gearing but did fine on everything but interstate.

is it just that it will go a bit slower? I tend not to be a speed demon and the absolute fastest I ever go is 80, but even then I try to stay below 75. do they generally have a hard time going up hills?

Idk, here in AZ that would sell pretty quick. The sun damages paint very easily here so it’s always a plus when you find one without sun damage.

I had a YJ 2.5 that sucked in open interstate due to crosswinds but did fine on in-town freeways. It was on 31s and stock gearing but did fine on everything but interstate.
Ok thats also good to know. everything is more expensive on the west coast.

If you leave it at stock height and tire size it’s just ok.
There’s a pretty steep inversely proportional performance curve to tire size.