Is a 2.5 manual '97 Jeep Wrangler TJ worth buying?

Thank you. I have been doing more research and I think I may just ask my mechanic for a price and go with that. I can ruin this car if I try to change the engine and I don't feel comfortable going that. That being said, I think I will try to tackle smaller projects.
You'll be ok.

The two biggest things when swapping an engine will be the welding and tranny mating to t-case. I'm assuming you can't weld so you'll need some help with that on the motor mounts.
(Someone used to make a bolt in SBC engine mount..?? So if that's still available. Great.

Changing the shaft of the tranny to match up with the t-case could be intimidating but I must say...
You tube is your friend.
you'll get more out of you tube than spending a year or two at a tech school.
Nothing is better than hands on but seeing is half the battle.

All that said it's not hard whatsoever. It's really doing research to make sure you buy the right things to play nice together.

You seem like you want to learn things as well so don't just pay someone to do it. If you do really get involved. Ask if you can help them. Even if they don't discount the job say you want to be involved to learn.

Good luck

• Sad
Reactions: reddvltj and Mrhp
You'll be ok.

The two biggest things when swapping an engine will be the welding and tranny mating to t-case. I'm assuming you can't weld so you'll need some help with that on the motor mounts.
(Someone used to make a bolt in SBC engine mount..?? So if that's still available. Great.

Changing the shaft of the tranny to match up with the t-case could be intimidating but I must say...
You tube is your friend.
you'll get more out of you tube than spending a year or two at a tech school.
Nothing is better than hands on but seeing is half the battle.

All that said it's not hard whatsoever. It's really doing research to make sure you buy the right things to play nice together.

You seem like you want to learn things as well so don't just pay someone to do it. If you do really get involved. Ask if you can help them. Even if they don't discount the job say you want to be involved to learn.

Good luck
I don't think you could over simplify a v8 swap into a TJ any more than you just did. The mechanical part of swapping any engine into a TJ is basic in theory only. You need welding skills and more than just rudimentary knowledge of mechanics and vehicle electronics. Then you get into the emissions end of it especially for a California vehicle. It goes WAY beyond watching You Tube as a how to.

It is something you could learn how to do but for someone with little to no working knowledge of auto mechanics, it's not something you want tackle without someone who knows what they are doing helping you do it.

If he was starting with a 4.0 TJ Holley is making a LS & Hemi swap kit that bolts in place but with the 4 popper you have to cut off the stock motor mounts and weld in the new ones. There are a ton of write-ups on swapping a LS or Hemi or Magnum engine into a TJ but as was said above it isn't something I'd want to tackle as my first or second project.

I'll stand by my suggestion to find a local tech collage and enroll in their classes. Many of then will allow you to work on your own vehicle. You will get the instruction and someone who can answer questions unlike a YouTube video.
And trying to pass Calif CARB laws is a PITA even for an experienced mechanic.

https://jeepspeedshop.com/ is in Calif and offers a Hemi swap into your TJ. But it AIN'T cheap.

Reactions: reddvltj
Having had a brand-new 1997 2.5 SE 5-spd in 1997, it was fine around town, and for off-roadiing. The problem was having to go on long highway trips to get to the trails. I endured it for 6 months, then sold it and bought a 4.0L Sport. Don't let anyone fool you, though, the 4.0L is no rocket ship on the highway, either, just not quite as anemic as the 2.5.

If I only wanted a run-around-town-top-down Jeep, the 2.5 would be fine.

I don't think you could over simplify a v8 swap into a TJ any more than you just did. The mechanical part of swapping any engine into a TJ is basic in theory only. You need welding skills and more than just rudimentary knowledge of mechanics and vehicle electronics. Then you get into the emissions end of it especially for a California vehicle. It goes WAY beyond watching You Tube as a how to.

It is something you could learn how to do but for someone with little to no working knowledge of auto mechanics, it's not something you want tackle without someone who knows what they are doing helping you do it.
If they can log on to this site and post they are certainly research savvy. It needs done by the most experienced wrenches in most cases. Odds are he's not getting some garage from hotrod TV to do a Hellcat hemi swap that specializes in exactly that.

The other thing going for him is no other vehicle in the world gets more engine swaps than the Jeep.

Info is tons heavy all readily available.

Reactions: Mrhp
Do you have any recommendations on how I can learn more about car mechanics so that I could possibly thin about doing this engine change myself?
This forum along with utube are great resources available to you. As far as an engine change in Commiefornia goes, the R&R of the engine is the easy part. You have to install all of the emissions equipment that came with the vehicle of the donor engine and then get it passed by a SMOG referee. The entire swap process can amount to tens of thousands of dollars. I would seriously consider holding out for a 6 cylinder and just deal with it's limitations.

If they can log on to this site and post they are certainly research savvy. It needs done by the most experienced wrenches in most cases. Odds are he's not getting some garage from hotrod TV to do a Hellcat hemi swap that specializes in exactly that.

The other thing going for him is no other vehicle in the world gets more engine swaps than the Jeep.

Info is tons heavy all readily available.
I'm not going to argue with you on @iamthecrazychild s thread. I'm just letting him know that you're oversimplifying the work required to swap a V8 into a TJ in California, not to mention the cost even if he were able to do it himself.

Reactions: L J
I also have the 2.5 engine. I wished I would have done a bit more research as to motor swaps before I bought mine.

To swap the engine alone is almost impossible. The transmission would also need to be included in that. the transfer case would need a different input shaft and then getting to the axles is a little more frustrating as the rear axle might need a supper 35 kit. This would be a basic explanation of what it would take to remove the week links from a simple bigger engine swap. I hope that makes since.

However, if you are keeping it stock height, Then also keep stock size tires in an all terrain tread pattern. Keep it as light as possible when or if you modify anything. if you do not drive over 70 MPH now then the 2.5 will be adequate but that is about the max you will get out of it.

I guess the last thing is that the engine is very reliable and will not have any trouble running in high RPMS. I rarely shift below 3500 RPMS and I have driven it daily for the last three years. Anywhere between 3500 and 5000 and I haven't had any issues. The one thing I will say is do not down shift the transmission to slow down. relay on your brakes more and then shift into a gear that is right for the speed. I think that is one of the most important things to learn or do with the AX5 transmission. I learnt that the hard way.

8000 might be high. three years ago I paid 5500 for mine, it has great paint, rust free frame, 4 inch lift, 4.56 gear ratio, and new 31 inch tires when I bought it. You might extend your search out side the area you are in if you have a way to get somewhere.
good luck and keep us posted.

I also have the 2.5 engine. I wished I would have done a bit more research as to motor swaps before I bought mine.

To swap the engine alone is almost impossible. The transmission would also need to be included in that. the transfer case would need a different input shaft and then getting to the axles is a little more frustrating as the rear axle might need a supper 35 kit. This would be a basic explanation of what it would take to remove the week links from a simple bigger engine swap. I hope that makes since.

Yes if you want to swap in a different engine even if it's a 4.0 6 cylinder you have to also change the transmission since the AX5 is a LIGHT duty transmission. And yes you would have to either use a different t-case OR change the input gear in your current t-case but that is pretty easy.
And YES you would have to do something with the rear axle to start with. IMO I wouldn't waste any money on a Super35 kit instead I'd replace it with a minimum of a Dana 44. But if you go into this knowing what all you need to do replace or modify it shouldn't be an issue. Engine swaps aren't CHEAP no matter what you start with and even if you had a 4.0 there is still a ton of things that need to change.

Reactions: reddvltj
Reading through this thread I am confused as to why the OP wouldn’t just wait and look for a 6 cyl vs buying a 4 and looking to swap the engine down the road. Even the mention of “an investment”, if you take out the original engine doesn’t that kill this plan?

if this is even a discussion why not wait for a good 6 cyl? You are in CA so access to a good Jeep is significantly better than us in the Northeast and rust belt. I am the perfect example of being patient while waiting for the “right” Jeep. I picked my must haves and passed up on many many TJs before finding mine.

I just picked up an '01 4 banger for $4500. Don't be to anxious to jump into a jeep just because it looks nice. Read the forums so you know what to look for.. When I purchased the YJ in my profile picture, I did not know all the secret places to look for rust and what to listen and feel for during a test drive. Your new classroom is waiting for you out there. Start small and work up to things like an engine swap..if you ever need one. Jeeps come up for sale every day,

Reactions: glwood and reddvltj
My TJ is a 2.5, 5speed and it's great around town. Having said that, driving it on the highway or up a small incline is challenging at best. Imagine riding a moped on a highway...you'll get there but everyone is gonna pass you.

is it just that it will go a bit slower? I tend not to be a speed demon and the absolute fastest I ever go is 80, but even then I try to stay below 75. do they generally have a hard time going up hills?
you wont be going 80 with a 2.5. but if you can stand leaving OEM size tires on it, it will do ok. i just sold one i had for 6yrs and put 45k miles on it. being that i live in the mountains the 2.5 was lacking and i was constantly downshifting, but on the highway south of ATL it would do fine..at 70mph that little engine was screaming along. i would buy another one if i lived where its flat, but no way would i get a auto.

I work in a bad area and wanted the safety of the hardtop. I am Do not come from a family who is good with cars and therefore knows very little about them myself. I have no idea how to swap out an engine which is why it's not something I would be doing right away. I know that I would have to pay to have it done. Do you have any recommendations on how I can learn more about car mechanics so that I could possibly thin about doing this engine change myself?
I'm seeing it again Saturday, but it's actually going straight to my mechanic. He is super trustworthy. He checks cars for free and has already checked 2 Jeeps for me that turned out to be bad.

I'll throw my hat into the ring. Your profile says you're 19, and you state you are about to go to college. You have stated that you and your immediate family are not "car people". I've owned 4 Jeeps myself and have been a Mechanic for a living for 20 years. I still have 2 of those Jeeps.

My vote is have your mechanic inspect the Jeep and it if checks out, and is inside your price range get it. Do not lift it at all, leave the tire size factory and maybe switch them out to a more aggressive all terrain. Invest in a Toolbox/locking box for the back and bolt it in there solid. I would not stress about hard top/soft top right away.

Do not spend any time worrying about engine swaps. Spend time figuring out if you yourself can gain mechanical skills and knowledge to work on the vehicle yourself. Maybe take a course in Auto at a college. Take the Jeep camping and off road lightly and see if it is for you.

Have good maintenance performed, or do it yourself and don't be afraid to tach that sucker out when needed to maintain speed. Everybody started somewhere, I was driving a Jeep since I was 15, and started with changing my own oil and tune ups. My buddies all worked on their own trucks and cars and I learned from them and all our mistakes and successes. I attended Universal Technical Institute and have been a mechanic ever since.

There is no reason a college student cannot have a Jeep, even a 4cyl Jeep. A Jeep is the Ultimate College vehicle in my opinion. If you find you are the mechanical type and you love to wrench. Then at some point you could perform your own Engine swap. Maybe even against the V8 trend and do a turbo charged 4 cylinder diesel.

Post up here if you buy the 4 Banger monster, and Keep that sucker stock height with small tires to start. And you will be fine. I had a friend who had a Rio Grande YJ with a 2.5 and it had the factory Tiny tires and it cruised around fine. You just carried the RPM higher alot.

Or somehow wait/search patiently for a 4.0L equipped Jeep in your price range and condition like many others here will argue.....

I'll throw my hat into the ring. Your profile says you're 19, and you state you are about to go to college. You have stated that you and your immediate family are not "car people". I've owned 4 Jeeps myself and have been a Mechanic for a living for 20 years. I still have 2 of those Jeeps.

My vote is have your mechanic inspect the Jeep and it if checks out, and is inside your price range get it. Do not lift it at all, leave the tire size factory and maybe switch them out to a more aggressive all terrain. Invest in a Toolbox/locking box for the back and bolt it in there solid. I would not stress about hard top/soft top right away.

Do not spend any time worrying about engine swaps. Spend time figuring out if you yourself can gain mechanical skills and knowledge to work on the vehicle yourself. Maybe take a course in Auto at a college. Take the Jeep camping and off road lightly and see if it is for you.

Have good maintenance performed, or do it yourself and don't be afraid to tach that sucker out when needed to maintain speed. Everybody started somewhere, I was driving a Jeep since I was 15, and started with changing my own oil and tune ups. My buddies all worked on their own trucks and cars and I learned from them and all our mistakes and successes. I attended Universal Technical Institute and have been a mechanic ever since.

There is no reason a college student cannot have a Jeep, even a 4cyl Jeep. A Jeep is the Ultimate College vehicle in my opinion. If you find you are the mechanical type and you love to wrench. Then at some point you could perform your own Engine swap. Maybe even against the V8 trend and do a turbo charged 4 cylinder diesel.

Post up here if you buy the 4 Banger monster, and Keep that sucker stock height with small tires to start. And you will be fine. I had a friend who had a Rio Grande YJ with a 2.5 and it had the factory Tiny tires and it cruised around fine. You just carried the RPM higher alot.

Or somehow wait/search patiently for a 4.0L equipped Jeep in your price range and condition like many others here will argue.....
Good advice indeed. Side note, I went to Un Trained Idiot in Phoenix from August '92 through May '93

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
I have a 2.5L and like it. I don't rock climb, just roads. It's a fun vehicle.
Agreed, all around fun vehicle IMHO
We used to own a couple of early 90,s YJ with 4 cyl
• loved every minute of it , softtop year round
• it can get pretty chilly up here, but a 205 degree thermostat makes all the difference. Lol
• pick your terrain battles, invest in a winch and snatch block , treesaver and a couple shackles ( include one soft shackle )
• the older YJ had Armstrong steering , so with a 97 TJ / 4 banger , you’re styling
• with having open diffs, it can be a bit of a handful, but …. Keep looking at the big picture that you’re probably gonna upgrade down the road anyways

Ps: stay away from the Chrysler automatic trannys,

good luck

~•lllllll•~👋🏿

Driving it on the freeway and hills? Big, big mistake if it’s a 2.5.

Don’t believe me? Buy it and find out for yourself 😉

You’ll just love that 4 cylinder on hills and highways 😆
Most all 2.5 s are in great shape, and have low miles and a low price....because they stay parked, aren’t driven much when they are driven and have to be sold cheap to get them gone. Sorry, I’m not a hater, just saying how it is.

A savvy shopper can find a 4.0 in the same ball park usually if he looks hard.

I’d take it over no jeep at all, but it would have to be my last option.

Last edited: