Is a '97 TJ an oddball?

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
Couldn't really think of a good way to title this, but here's what I'm asking: Are there unique design differences, be they mechanical or otherwise, to the '97 model year TJ? Sometimes, for instance, a first year production run of a new model (which the TJ was over the YJ) can have carryover parts from the previous model that are not found in second year and later runs. General Motors did that in both their '68 and '78 model year runs (some models, anyways), and I was just wondering if the '97 TJ had a similar thing going on with it. Dash switches? U-joints? Anything? I seem to recall @Jerry Bransford mentioning something along those lines at some point... I think...
maybe... ;)

So, what say the masses?

Last edited:
Jeep had a huge reputation for using whatever someone would extend them credit to buy for years , and often had a mix of parts . FCA eventually got that mentality changed , and the TJ was more than a round headlight Jeep, it began an era of consistency AMC Jeep never saw.

The Wikipedia TJ biography is really good .

The TJ was truly all new. ...but it wasn’t . The 4.0 was in production , so I think you will see some stuff dug up here .

What is odd, in a good way, is how big a success the TJ was and how it has endured .

I have a '97 and was reading the thread about modifying the filler tube on the gas tank to allow for 19 gallons instead of 15. I believe that it was @Jerry Bransford who mentioned that the earliest TJ's did use a 15 gallon tank for a short period. Mine came off the production line early so I haven't dropped the tank to see if I can modify it. I'll check it out when I need to do the fuel pump but till then I'll just keep visiting the gas station.

I’ve also heard the same about them being a strange bird, but not sure how deep it does. I’ve heard the following, but cannot say whether true or not.

Electronics,harnesses,and sensors used may be from the 94-95 YJ’s
Mechanical instead of vacuum heat controls
No security chip in the ignition key
No key to turn off air bag
Less switches by the ashtray 3 instead of 5

Last edited:
Interesting. I did always notice that some parts you buy are ‘97 specific. Whatever it is, I sure do love my ‘97 SE. Kind of an underdog TJ lol.

I’ve also heard the same about them being a strange bird, but not sure how deep it does. I’ve heard the following, but cannot say whether true or not.

Electronics,harnesses,and sensors used may be from the 94-95 YJ’s
Sensors mostly go back and forth between the 95 and 97
Mechanical instead of vacuum heat controls
No security chip in the ignition key
The SKIM system was not implemented until 98 and only then due to the requirement that all vehicles sold in the UK were to have a factory security system.
No key to turn off air bag
That doesn't make the 97 special. The later years don't have it either.
Less switches by the ashtray 3 instead of 5
Same for later years.

Main differences I know of are the weld nuts in the rear frame for the bumper are 1/2-13 instead of 12mm like the rest.
Rear bumper crossmember retained the holes on both sides of the frame horns for mounting the bumperettes. Later versions only have the outside pair of holes.
Cowl panel has 3 vents. Later cowl panel only has one.
Hood latch is grill mounted. Later versions are hood mounted.
Charcoal canister is round. Later versions are rectangular.
There is a difference in how the AC condenser lines mount to the condensor at the grill that makes it non transferable to later years.

I have a '97 and was reading the thread about modifying the filler tube on the gas tank to allow for 19 gallons instead of 15. I believe that it was @Jerry Bransford who mentioned that the earliest TJ's did use a 15 gallon tank for a short period. Mine came off the production line early so I haven't dropped the tank to see if I can modify it. I'll check it out when I need to do the fuel pump but till then I'll just keep visiting the gas station.
My very early 3/96 TJ came with a 19 gallon tank. Unless it was a very stripped down model odds are good it has the 19 gallon tank. The gas gauge is notoriously inaccurate, mine says nearly completely empty/in the red zone but the tank still has 3-5 gallons in it.

Reactions: RussTJ
Sensors mostly go back and forth between the 95 and 97

The SKIM system was not implemented until 98 and only then due to the requirement that all vehicles sold in the UK were to have a factory security system.

That doesn't make the 97 special. The later years don't have it either.

Same for later years.

Main differences I know of are the weld nuts in the rear frame for the bumper are 1/2-13 instead of 12mm like the rest.
Rear bumper crossmember retained the holes on both sides of the frame horns for mounting the bumperettes. Later versions only have the outside pair of holes.
Cowl panel has 3 vents. Later cowl panel only has one.
Hood latch is grill mounted. Later versions are hood mounted.
Charcoal canister is round. Later versions are rectangular.
There is a difference in how the AC condenser lines mount to the condensor at the grill that makes it non transferable to later years.

Great info, this will be a nice to have for reference in the future.

My very early 3/96 TJ came with a 19 gallon tank. Unless it was a very stripped down model odds are good it has the 19 gallon tank. The gas gauge is notoriously inaccurate, mine says nearly completely empty/in the red zone but the tank still has 3-5 gallons in it.
It is accurate according to Jeep. They design the system to show empty with 3-5 gallons left in the tank as a reserve. ;)

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
The cowl cover vents on the 97 are different than that of the 98 and later models.

When I buy an oil filter or other parts at NAPA Auto I have to stress it's a 2.5 four. Sometimes their stuff lists a 2.4 for some reason. I got an incorrect power steering high pressure line once that was missing the idle sensor port. So sometimes I think we need to be careful of documentation errors.