Is a leaking pinion seal unusual?

chino1969

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I just had my 2004 TJ re-geared which included new axle seals, bearings, pinion seals & nuts, etc.. Broke the gears in properly and re-filled the diffs. with non synthetic fluid (Chevron Delo ESI 80W-90) since I had a Tru Trac LSD installed in the rear. Just the other day I noticed the rear pinion seal weeping fluid. The shop will make good on this as the work is under warranty. The shop is a well known Jeep shop and I am certain the seal was installed correctly but is this unusual? The front pinion seal is fine. The rear diff. was not over filled as my cover has a dip stick for checking proper level. Anybody else ever run into this?

After I did my regear I too thought I had a pinion seal leak, however it ended up being the grease I applied to the seal lip heating up and looking like leaking oil. Just some food for thought. However if the seal was leaking I wouldn't be terribly surprised as it can be pretty easy to nick it enough to weep.

Reactions: Chris
I've had two sets of gears done on both of my TJs and never dealt with a leaking piñon seal, so I would say yes, it's unusual after just having had gears installed.

Probably just a simple user install error. They'll make good on it and you will be fine (y)

After I did my regear I too thought I had a pinion seal leak, however it ended up being the grease I applied to the seal lip heating up and looking like leaking oil. Just some food for thought. However if the seal was leaking I wouldn't be terribly surprised as it can be pretty easy to nick it enough to weep.

I did a very close inspection and it is the seal. There are also a few drops of fluid to verify this. I had this re-geared in September and had no leaks. Just seems a bit unusual.

I've had two sets of gears done on both of my TJs and never dealt with a leaking piñon seal, so I would say yes, it's unusual after just having had gears installed.

Probably just a simple user install error. They'll make good on it and you will be fine (y)

Yeah, the thing that gets me is I had it re-geared in Sept. and it did not start leaking until last week. This is one of the reasons I had a reputable shop do the work. They stand behind and warranty their work. I'll get them to replace it after the 1st of the year.

Yeah, the thing that gets me is I had it re-geared in Sept. and it did not start leaking until last week. This is one of the reasons I had a reputable shop do the work. They stand behind and warranty their work. I'll get them to replace it after the 1st of the year.

Ahhh, hard to say why that happened then, but at least they are standing behind their work. That's a shop I would continue to give business to and refer to others as well.

Ahhh, hard to say why that happened then, but at least they are standing behind their work. That's a shop I would continue to give business to and refer to others as well.

The shop came highly recommended and they only do Jeeps. Oh well, sometimes these things happen in the best of circumstances. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Chris
My Dana 44 pinion seal leaks slightly even after replacing it once. After 10,000 miles I added maybe half an ounce of diff fluid, so I'm not concerned.

Any of those external seals can be nicked slightly. Even new in the box seals may have an invisible flaw. If the shop is going to the seal over again then it's a good shop and I would stick with them. Any time you work on machinery there is a chance of a flaw. It's the nature of mass production.

After my regear, my front pinion seal leaked and was replaced under warranty. That seal leaked too and was replaced under warranty. Third time, all is good with no signs of leak or seepage. They said sometimes the seal is defective or nicked slightly during packaging or install. As long as they stand behind it, you are goos to go. Although, it can be a hassle to have to keep going back.

After my regear, my front pinion seal leaked and was replaced under warranty. That seal leaked too and was replaced under warranty. Third time, all is good with no signs of leak or seepage. They said sometimes the seal is defective or nicked slightly during packaging or install. As long as they stand behind it, you are goos to go. Although, it can be a hassle to have to keep going back.

That is the only real problem; having to go back.

A shout out to the JP Shop in Chester Springs, PA. I recently had my TJ re-geared by them and developed a rear pinion seal leak on one that was replaced along with the re-gear. They replaced the bad one, no BS, no questions, with a new one. No leaks.

Reactions: taylormade73
Sometimes a groove gets worn in the yoke. You can use a redi-seal to sleeve the yoke at the same time you replace the seal. Got mine frame Napa. Had to do it to mine 3 months ago and haven't leaked a drop. From there anyhow.

Sometimes a groove gets worn in the yoke. You can use a redi-seal to sleeve the yoke at the same time you replace the seal. Got mine frame Napa. Had to do it to mine 3 months ago and haven't leaked a drop. From there anyhow.

I hear ya but this was a brand pinion.

Oil can sometimes come through the splines and threads of the nut making it look like a seal leak. Putting a bit of silicone on the inside of the pinion before you install it will prevent this from happening.

Reactions: Blondie70
Oil can sometimes come through the splines and threads of the nut making it look like a seal leak. Putting a bit of silicone on the inside of the pinion before you install it will prevent this from happening.

Good to know but I examined the leak closely and it was the seal.