Is a weight distribution hitch needed in this scenario?

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I purchased a new 1/2 Ton RAM truck last year, because my old RAM was getting tired, and had a pathetic towing capacity. With my current setup, I am wondering two things:

1. Is a weight distribution system needed in this scenario?
2. If so, what brands/types do I look for?

Here are the numbers:

- 11,400 lb truck tow capacity
- 7,000 lb trailer capacity
- 1100 lb trailer weight (Aluminum)
- 4600 lb Jeep
- 600 lb average tongue weight

FWIW, I haven't felt any weirdness when towing, but am not opposed to making improvements, if needed.

You shouldn't need one, but it'll never hurt to have one.

My Dad has an 18 Ram 1500. We've put thousands of miles on it pulling cars all around the country on an 18' steel deck trailer, and have never had an issue without a distribution setup.

Last year alone we did 4k miles between two trips to Tennessee and Indiana. Never skipped a beat.

Reactions: Rick Flair and Irun
If it pulls fine and doesn't squat the truck and keeps the weight on the front end then I wouldn't add one and I say that as someone who needs to sell one.

I use a weigh safe hitch and I watch my tongue weight.

You shouldn't need one, but it'll never hurt to have one.

My Dad has an 18 Ram 1500. We've put thousands of miles on it pulling cars all around the country on an 18' steel deck trailer, and have never had an issue without a distribution setup.

Last year alone we did 4k miles between two trips to Tennessee and Indiana. Never skipped a beat.
If it pulls fine and doesn't squat the truck and keeps the weight on the front end then I wouldn't add one and I say that as someone who needs to sell one.

I was specific in getting 3.92 gearing, a 6'4" bed, along with the Crew cab. I'm impressed with how much easier the new 1/2 ton truck pulls the trailer. This is helpful...thanks!

I prefer using a weight distributing hitch because it increases the load onto the front end and improves steering. Won't notice much on the freeway but why go 55 on a 2-way? I also tend to load up a day trip as if it was an overland expedition:)

I was specific in getting 3.92 gearing, a 6'4" bed, along with the Crew cab. I'm impressed with how much easier the new 1/2 ton truck pulls the trailer. This is helpful...thanks!

1/2 ton trucks today will out pull older 3/4 and 1 ton stuff. It's amazing.

I'm super impressed with the Ram trucks.

I prefer using a weight distributing hitch because it increases the load onto the front end and improves steering. Won't notice much on the freeway but why go 55 on a 2-way? I also tend to load up a day trip as if it was an overland expedition:)
You're not wrong but it all depends on the setup. If you aren't unloading the front then weight distribution won't do much. But it all depends on the trucks capability and how much you are pulling plus load distribution.

Just as long as people don't say fix the squat with airbags.

A lot of the “I tow so I know” types will say about 4-5,000 lbs is about where to start looking at WDH’s. As said earlier, if you’re not squatting too much in the rear then you’ll probably be fine without one.

If you have a 2.5-3” of squat in the rear when you hook up the trailer, then a WDH will make a noticeable difference in how the trailer pulls and the truck steers. If you’re only squatting an inch or so then it wouldn’t be necessary.

My toy hauler weighs in at 4700 dry and can push over 7000 when loaded. Towing short trips empty sometimes I’ll go without the WDH and it is very noticeable.

Reactions: Irun and Rick Flair

I have a weigh safe hitch and went ahead and got all 3 ball sizes, that way I can pretty much tow any trailer within weight limits. My scale does indicate about 200lbs with no trailer so I am never sure how much tongue weight I have.

I have a weigh safe hitch and went ahead and got all 3 ball sizes, that way I can pretty much tow any trailer within weight limits. My scale does indicate about 200lbs with no trailer so I am never sure how much tongue weight I have.
Should contact them and see what they say. It’s a very versatile hitch.

A lot of the “I tow so I know” types will say about 4-5,000 lbs is about where to start looking at WDH’s. As said earlier, if you’re not squatting too much in the rear then you’ll probably be fine without one.

If you have a 2.5-3” of squat in the rear when you hook up the trailer, then a WDH will make a noticeable difference in how the trailer pulls and the truck steers. If you’re only squatting an inch or so then it wouldn’t be necessary.

My toy hauler weighs in at 4700 dry and can push over 7000 when loaded. Towing short trips empty sometimes I’ll go without the WDH and it is very noticeable.

This is good information. When I had my Tundra, and now my F350, I can tell when the rear squats and the front raises more than an 1". No way would I tow my camper, ~ 8500#, without a WDH. I pulled my friends 4000# camper a short distance without a WDH, and no issues.

I have a reference point measured from my front fender lip that I use to see if the front is raised too much.

This is good information. When I had my Tundra, and now my F350, I can tell when the rear squats and the front raises more than an 1". No way would I tow my camper, ~ 8500#, without a WDH. I pulled my friends 4000# camper a short distance without a WDH, and no issues.

I have a reference point measured from my front fender lip that I use to see if the front is raised too much.
None so far but I also pull mine when not used instead of leaving it out in the elements.
In doing more reading, it looks like the 5,000 lb range is where WDH is recommended. Given I'm on the lower end there, I think I'll take some measurements and keep an eye on the rear squat and front rise. Honestly, I towed with my old RAM for years with no issues. The new 1/2 ton truck is superior to the old one in every way, so I'm thinking I'll hold off until I see a clear reason to buy one. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Tranz Zam
Just remember. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

pxl_20210615_011052759-jpg.jpg

pxl_20210615_011723409-jpg.jpg

I tow with a Dodge 3500 dually. Once I started towing with a WDH, I prefer it.

edit- should probably mention that my trailer has 1200 lbs. of tongue weight which barely squats the rear of the truck.
It sounds like you are getting into gooseneck territory.

I have never considered a weight distribution hitch for a car and trailer, but the heaviest was around 6000 lbs total.

It sounds like you are getting into gooseneck territory.
Hard to do with a camper in the bed.
I have never considered a weight distribution hitch for a car and trailer, but the heaviest was around 6000 lbs total.
With the camper on, that requires a 24" hitch extension. Now calculate that tongue weight.