Is Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel Crate Engine Plug & Play For My TJ?

I am really hoping that I can stay with the spin on filter. My Jeep has a 4 inch lift, so I probably just need to make sure it can't hurt itself at full compression. I haven't spent much time looking at the remote adapter yet, but the oil lines are big and stiff and I really don't know where I would want to mount the remote filter housing.
I would pull the springs and cycle the front axle to make sure nothing runs into anything, If you have any issues getting her started let me know, I might know a few things about these engines.

I just put the Jeep up on the two post lift. First order of business when I get the rest of my parts will be to drop the genright gas tank and clean it out and remove the fuel pump and add a return port. I think I found a good mounting point for the fuel filter on the body where there is a vertical seam for the floor. I replaced my headlight switch because I thought that might have been the issue with lack of dash lights, but it didn't seem to help. I will address this when I wire in the new dash assembly.

Lou, do you happen to know if the cummins R2.8 tach signal will trigger the intellitronix tach?

Lou, do you happen to know if the cummins R2.8 tach signal will trigger the intellitronix tach?
Off the top of my head, that i do not know. What kind of signal is that device looking for?

On all modern day cummins engine i am familiar with, the only tach signal is a j1939 signal(CAN bus).

The r2.8 does have a tachometer output. It is an on/off square waveform and the frequency in Hz is F=rpm/5.

The r2.8 does have a tachometer output. It is an on/off square waveform and the frequency in Hz is F=rpm/5.
I just got an email from Brittany at Cummins Repower and she said the signal wire puts out 4 pulses per revolution, I would think the tach should be able to see that.

Right now we are attempting stuffing a 3.0TDI from a 2013 Audi A7 into a JK. Pulled the engine and trans to find a 49 spline output. But being it's a 8HP70/75 we are hoping a Dodge 23 spline output fits into it. We've found that adapter for the tcase, so we don't have to machine our own. If we can get it figured, hoping to put together a few swap kits

And also hoping we can fit it between the frame rails. :D

received_308507994606507.jpeg

received_652053982715853.jpeg

Also speaking of the 2.8 swap into a TJ, there is a good video on YouTube where Nate and Ian talk about the swap differences between that and a TDI 4cyl. I would probably go with the TDI, because I like a challenge and learning the swap, but there's something to be said about buying a whole kit with everything in it. And the 2.8 swap kit is a pretty good bargain considering all you get.

I looked at the remote oil filter adapter shipped with the new engine yesterday. The adapter screws into the threaded nipple on the front cover, then the adapter has the feed and return line ports facing vertical. If the supplied hoses are threaded into the ports, the lines will stick down further than a spin on filter. A 90 degree JIC fitting would fix the issue, but I am not sure of the thread pitches at this point. The thread pitch is different for each port, one port is coarse threads and the other is fine. My short filters showed up today and I hope they will work without issue. They are only about 3.5 inches tall compared to the filter shipped with the engine that is over 7 inches tall.

I looked at the remote oil filter adapter shipped with the new engine yesterday. The adapter screws into the threaded nipple on the front cover, then the adapter has the feed and return line ports facing vertical. If the supplied hoses are threaded into the ports, the lines will stick down further than a spin on filter. A 90 degree JIC fitting would fix the issue, but I am not sure of the thread pitches at this point. The thread pitch is different for each port, one port is coarse threads and the other is fine. My short filters showed up today and I hope they will work without issue. They are only about 3.5 inches tall compared to the filter shipped with the engine that is over 7 inches tall.
If there is a part number on that oil filter adapter i can get you the details on the fittings.

Also speaking of the 2.8 swap into a TJ, there is a good video on YouTube where Nate and Ian talk about the swap differences between that and a TDI 4cyl. I would probably go with the TDI, because I like a challenge and learning the swap, but there's something to be said about buying a whole kit with everything in it. And the 2.8 swap kit is a pretty good bargain considering all you get.

That 3.0 TDI looks cool and I really like having a bit more displacement with diesels. Personally I'm always nervous with some of the heavily integrated diesels like newer Audi/VW. I just get worried I'll have some relatively simple thing completely.

I was heavily thinking of going 1.9 TDI and tried to buy a swapped ALH Jeep at one point. When I got my R2.8 one of the companies that was big on the 1.9 TDI swaps seemed similarly priced to the R2.8 and it was mostly the displacement and the completely brand new part about the engine that swayed me. I got a YJ and planned a TDI swap, but my needs for towing keep ramping up and I want to do a slower DIY 1 ton build and I really wanted a 300+ HP diesel and now I'm really leaning toward a 6BT/Allison build.

Just to bring everyone up to speed, engine is in, motor mounts are welded in. I ended up using Axis motor mounts because quick draw was out of stock and backordered. Engine and transmission HAD to move forward two inches with the quick draw adapter. I think with the Axis adapter it can stay in stock location, but I liked the idea of a stock flywheel and new bellhousing. I got very lucky in that my Tom Woods custom drivelines which the rear ended up being too short and the front, too long, I was able to swap slip yokes! The rear slip yoke was about 2 inches shorter than the front, so switching them solved the problem without having to redo the driveshafts. I adjusted the shift linkage on the atlas II tranfer case and I think all is good. I decided to go with a GPS speedometer sender to make life easy too. I will have a fair amount of work tracing wires when I get to that point. Tomorrow I hope to come up with a plan to fit my intercooler and mount the radiator and fan. The short oil filter on the R2.8 looks to fit fine with a 4 inch lift, but I might make the bump stops a little longer for safety.