Is it all connected or just bad luck?

Hap337

So I have been working on my new to me TJ, 01 Sport auto, and have run into a series of problems.
At first I thought the stereo was a wired wrong as it would often stay on even after shutting the Jeep off. It finally dawned on me that the ignition switch was the problem. It would go from on to off to accessory without even stopping. I'd have to get it to Off and jiggle it until it disengaged properly. So I figured I would have to replace the ignition switch...
Then the other day I left work and it barely started, idled rough and almost died at every stop sign. Apparently I hadn't gotten it into the Off position? When I got it home I put it on the charger and it was under 50%. I charged it up and it fired up and ran great for a while, then the low and rough idle returned.
Then I had a brainstorm, rarely happens lol, and decided to pull out the spare key. Just looking at it you can see a massive difference between it and the old worn key I had been using. I swapped keys and now it engages and disengages properly in the ignition.
But the low rough idle remains. I cleaned the Idle Air Control and throttle body, which helped a little, but it's still bad. I had the alternator tested and it is fine. I didn't test the battery yet but that shouldn't affect idle if the alternator is ok, right?
SO, my questions are...are these problems related? Should I still replace the ignition switch? And most importantly, what do I check for the idle problem now?

Believe it or not a low battery can cause a rough idle. I'd start by charging the battery overnight using a bench charger. Modern alternators require a good solid 12 volts from the battery to put out power so they can't even recharge a partially discharged battery.

With a dead battery, the engine will die within a few minutes after being jump started. The days of being able to drive on dead or nearly dead batteries are long-gone.

Reactions: ranwilrw
Be aware that often times a low battery has reached a point where it simply can't hold a charge anymore, and even if you continue to charge them, they'll keep acting up. I would look at the date printed on your battery and see when it was purchased. That will be a big indicator of whether or not the battery has gone past its shelf life.

Reactions: ranwilrw and Joseph
I can't see the date on it, will have to look better in the daylight. But it went up 25% already in liken15 minutes while trickle charging. I think I'm gonna replace it tomorrow no matter what.