Is it just me?

Paparock1

Angry SE
Supporting Member
Every time I do any fluid change I end up making a big mess. I try to prepare and have everything ready and in the right place and then one thing after another. I either tip the new or old container over, dont get the drain pan in the right location etc. It never fails every time. Just wondering if its just me?

Its not just you.

I have the largest galvanized oil drip pan I could find that I slide under my work area. Invariably during cleanup I find oil drops beyond the edges of the pan.

I grew weary of spritzing drips and oil spots with degreaser so the first thing I had done to my current house when escrow closed was have a commercial polyaspartic [aka polyurea) coating applied to the garage floor. It was a two-day process that wasn't cheap, but it sure is nice to be able to wipe up an oil mess with a paper towel and a squirt of Windex.

Haha, it happens from time to time! I use a Schwaben fluid extractor to change my oil, at least every other time, and it really makes it really easy and clean.

Every time I do any fluid change I end up making a big mess. I try to prepare and have everything ready and in the right place and then one thing after another. I either tip the new or old container over, dont get the drain pan in the right location etc. It never fails every time. Just wondering if its just me?
Yeah, it's just you :grazy:

Reactions: Daryl and ac_
Only thing I make a mess of is getting that oil drizzle on the exhaust pipe from removing the filter. There just isn't any way around that.

Reactions: dmatt13
Nope ! Not just you.
Doing a tranny flush and thought I knew which line was the return.....WRONG.
20161225_131218.jpg

Reactions: piratemonkey
If I may make a suggestion. This is not really a suggestion on how to get your stuff to drain in the pan, that is just good aim on your part, but I was at the annual 4x4 swap meet in Puyallup WA a few years back, and I picked up a funnel and an old fuel jug for 10 bucks. It was the best ten bucks I have ever spent. I still use it, and it has been years. Basically here is what it is new.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jzp-560-015-06

and one of these although mine is white, so I can see how full it is getting:

https://www.denniskirk.com/vp-racin...lon-round-gas-can-3824.p290093.prd/290093.sku

Keep the lid off to the side, and when it gets full just run down to your local parts store, and recycle the used oil, gear oil, trans fluid, Just no brake fluid or water. Not going to tell you what to do with that, but don't put it in with the used oil.

It is really no mess as long as you aim good.

It would be best if you find a deal like I did at a garage sell or craigslist, but it is really nice to have in the garage.

We just moved into a new place a while back and the drive way is of corse like brand new poured cement and when I changed my oil i freakin forgot to keep my pan under when I was taking the filter off and it flew everywhere, did the whole cat liter treatment n all but it's still pretty visible. A few people were mad as shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, I have one of those folding single step, step things, which brings the drain pan closer to the oil pan drain plug. And for the filter, I use a remote 1 quart spin on type. With an adapter on the block side. This set up has followed me through 3 different Toyota trucks and a 4-Runner, and now the TJ. Oh and a dedicated oil stained moving blanket (my wife calls it my security blankie) for those OH SHIT drips.

Its not just you.

Just got my TJ, and its higher than my Yukon which was a royal pain. Had to put the pan on a block, then move it so the flow didn't miss.

Then a friend turned me on to this Fumoto valve. Goes in place of the drain plug. Put a piece of 1/2 tube on it, right into whatever container you want, flip the switch, no fuss no mess. Best $25 you'll spend. And yes, its pretty foolproof meaning it cant open on its own.

Google Fumoto valve

hero-fumoto-engine-oil-drain-valve.jpg

I did an oil change on the jeep a few weeks ago.

-Caught all the oil in the drain pan. Winning!
-Removed filter and caught all that too. Winning!
-Got the new oil in without spilling a drop. Winning!
-Go out to the garage the next day and find out I knocked over the old oil filter and it's contents were absorbed into the concrete. Doh!

I have a 4x4 foot piece of plywood that I put down under the drain pan. Prevents all but the biggest mishaps.

And here I thought I was the only one. Thanks for all the great ideas. I have changed all my fluids in the TJ; of coarse on different days. Several cleanups, no matter how much I prepared, I was spilling it. However, Bird, I think you win LOL

Reactions: Bird
Its not just you.

Just got my TJ, and its higher than my Yukon which was a royal pain. Had to put the pan on a block, then move it so the flow didn't miss.

Then a friend turned me on to this Fumoto valve. Goes in place of the drain plug. Put a piece of 1/2 tube on it, right into whatever container you want, flip the switch, no fuss no mess. Best $25 you'll spend. And yes, its pretty foolproof meaning it cant open on its own.

Google Fumoto valve

View attachment 47891

I recommend the Fumoto valves as well. Have them on all my cars and they work great. Have never had one fail.

If I may make a suggestion. This is not really a suggestion on how to get your stuff to drain in the pan, that is just good aim on your part, but I was at the annual 4x4 swap meet in Puyallup WA a few years back, and I picked up a funnel and an old fuel jug for 10 bucks. It was the best ten bucks I have ever spent. I still use it, and it has been years.

Funny you mention Puyallup.
That's where my TJ was bought new by a military personnel.
He then got transferred to the east coast where i grabbed it.

Reactions: ac_