Is it normal to have a situational axle seal leak?

MutantNinjaTJ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
As you may remember I had gears done about 3000 miles ago. I was out a couple of weeks ago and got the TJ pretty twisted up in a ravine trying to get out. Anyway I heard some sounds from the old girls underside I hadn't heard before. Popping, and such. After I got out I looked her over good, and drove around a bit to see if I had broken or bent something. Nothing. Drove home, no problems. About a week later I see some gear oil in the bottom of the knuckle coming out of the axel tube on the right side. Cleaned it and saw nothing until about a week later and it was back. Talked to the shop who did the gears and he said it could be some "situational" leakage. In other words, I could have put enough load on the axels to cause the seal to distort long enough to leak a little oil. I've never heard of this before. It may have lost about 2 tablespoons of oil, maybe a little less. While they said they would stand behind their work and replace the seal, he asked me to clean the area and monitor it to see if it is still leaking. I drove her up on a tire lift on the left side to tip her over a bit and see if it was still leaking and it doesn't seem to be. Have you ever heard of this before? Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

As you may remember I had gears done about 3000 miles ago. I was out a couple of weeks ago and got the TJ pretty twisted up in a ravine trying to get out. Anyway I heard some sounds from the old girls underside I hadn't heard before. Popping, and such. After I got out I looked her over good, and drove around a bit to see if I had broken or bent something. Nothing. Drove home, no problems. About a week later I see some gear oil in the bottom of the knuckle coming out of the axel tube on the right side. Cleaned it and saw nothing until about a week later and it was back. Talked to the shop who did the gears and he said it could be some "situational" leakage. In other words, I could have put enough load on the axels to cause the seal to distort long enough to leak a little oil. I've never heard of this before. It may have lost about 2 tablespoons of oil, maybe a little less. While they said they would stand behind their work and replace the seal, he asked me to clean the area and monitor it to see if it is still leaking. I drove her up on a tire lift on the left side to tip her over a bit and see if it was still leaking and it doesn't seem to be. Have you ever heard of this before? Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

I would not move another inch with that rig before I pulled the cover and popped the carrier out to see how much preload it has. My money is on not nearly enough.

I am curious to hear your fix. I have had the same issue for several months now. Earlier this year (prior to any leaks) I decided to change my axle fluids. Popped the covers and let it drain (never removed axles or anything other than diff covers). Reinstalled the diff covers and topped off to the recommended levels from the information provided on the forum. I kid you not if a day later the passenger front and driver rear was leaking. I asked several people if they thought maybe it was too full. I allowed it to leak for a week before deciding it was something related to a poor seal.

When I dropped off my jeep to have the lift installed they replaced the two seals. Within a week of picking up the jeep I noticed the previous rear driver seal leaking. I took them the jeep and watched them replace it. Once I got home I noticed the front passenger seal was leaking and building up. I scheduled a time to drop off and have replaced. After picking it back up, I noticed a week later diff fluid was seeping out in a small amount. I have notified them that it has began leaking again. I am unsure why 1.) they began leaking to begin with after only changing the fluid 2.) Why the front will not seal well.

This shop is a little over an hour from me. I told them I will keep an eye on the leak in case it gets worse. I hope maybe it was just access fluid?

I am curious to hear your fix. I have had the same issue for several months now. Earlier this year (prior to any leaks) I decided to change my axle fluids. Popped the covers and let it drain (never removed axles or anything other than diff covers). Reinstalled the diff covers and topped off to the recommended levels from the information provided on the forum. I kid you not if a day later the passenger front and driver rear was leaking. I asked several people if they thought maybe it was too full. I allowed it to leak for a week before deciding it was something related to a poor seal.

When I dropped off my jeep to have the lift installed they replaced the two seals. Within a week of picking up the jeep I noticed the previous rear driver seal leaking. I took them the jeep and watched them replace it. Once I got home I noticed the front passenger seal was leaking and building up. I scheduled a time to drop off and have replaced. After picking it back up, I noticed a week later diff fluid was seeping out in a small amount. I have notified them that it has began leaking again. I am unsure why 1.) they began leaking to begin with after only changing the fluid 2.) Why the front will not seal well.

This shop is a little over an hour from me. I told them I will keep an eye on the leak in case it gets worse. I hope maybe it was just access fluid?
I had the same after I changed the diff oil post break in after the gear change on the driver side rear. I overfilled it a bit then after driving it I noticed I had gear oil on the backing plate and a bit on the tire. I notified the shop but like you it’s an hour from me so I also told them I’d watch it. It eventually stopped. But I check it every now and then.

"Situational leakage?" That's a new one for me. The noises afterwards would be my biggest concern. Like Blaine said, pull the cover and see what it looks like inside.

"Situational leakage?" That's a new one for me. The noises afterwards would be my biggest concern. Like Blaine said, pull the cover and see what it looks like inside.
The only way I can see that happening is if the carrier is loose enough to let the axle move around in the seal and nothing about that is good.

Just a guess ... is there any way that the seal lip could get rolled or nicked? Dosent seem likley, but that could explain why after some hard flexing a slight leak could occur. As for just changed the oil and now it leaks ... I have heard that changing brands of oil can do this on higher mileage vehicles. I've never actually seen it myself. As for "situational leakage " other than my early teenage years I've never had a problem. 🤗

So no more oil was in my axel tube after a couple of days leaned over to drain it out. And the noises I heard was while I had her twisted up trying to crawl out of a bad spot, It didn't make any more sounds the rest of the day wheeling and hasn't made any noise since. I think I will pop the cover off and take a look.

MrBlaine, what could happen if I continue to drive it if there is indeed a "preload" issue? I have put about 300 miles or more on it since. Thanks for input on this

So no more oil was in my axel tube after a couple of days leaned over to drain it out. And the noises I heard was while I had her twisted up trying to crawl out of a bad spot, It didn't make any more sounds the rest of the day wheeling and hasn't made any noise since. I think I will pop the cover off and take a look.

MrBlaine, what could happen if I continue to drive it if there is indeed a "preload" issue? I have put about 300 miles or more on it since. Thanks for input on this
The bearings will wear. The gear mesh pattern will wear oddly since it will walk out of pattern every time the axle sees any substantial load. That doesn't mean you do or don't have the problem and you won't know until you pull the cover and pop the carrier out. If it falls out, fix it. If it doesn't, probably don't have the problem.

I’m looking to replace my rear axels. Was thinking of Alloy Steel, any thoughts? Also, I’ve seen different lengths listed for the 27 spline, (one was 29.04 the other was 30.35 if I remember) and then I’ve seen mention of driver’s side or LH, and passenger side or RH. Is this where the sizing differs? Would a kit have them labeled? Thanks

The driver's side axle shaft is slightly shorter than the passenger side. Over Alloy USA my first choice would be Revolution Gear and Axle.