Is it possible to charge the A/C system myself?

If the level is just low, you can use over the counter to refill it - but there really isn’t a good way to actually recharge the system without the proper machine like a shop has.

Is it possible to charge the air conditioning DIY?

Heck yes if you are just topping off a low charge, for the basics all you need is a low pressure can tap with the low pressure gauge, but a full set of gauges is better as one can see both the high and low side pressures while charging. You will find that it is one of the simplest things to do.

I thought modern systems were done by weight not pressure?

As far as I can remember there has always been a system charge weight on a sticker under the hood which is good for am empty fill but if one is just low, using pressure is the way to go to ensure the amount of gas is correct.

With that being said it is still best to have the pressures (and temperature for that matter) to ensure the system is working to its best efficiently.

For a system to become low doesn't that mean there's a leak somewhere since the refrigerant doesn't evaporate?

For a system to become low doesn't that mean there's a leak somewhere since the refrigerant doesn't evaporate?

Yup, but sometimes is a very small leak so just to top off the charge for temperaory fix is good, also when toping the charge off you can use dye to help located the leak.

Reactions: qslim
Not as well as a shop can. Many shops do have the charging equipment so you don't need to pay the dealership prices.

The DIY kits can contain stuff that a shop would later have to flush back out so doing DIY to see if it's good enough may cost you more in the long run.

Make sure you add the freon to the suction side, not the high pressure side. If you get it wrong you won't like the outcome.

R134a systems are done by weight, when done correctly.

Be sure to use a product WITHOUT leak sealer so when you end up at a shop it doesn't gum up their equipment.

+1 on getting cans WITHOUT leak sealer.
Read the label, some hide it in the fine print.

Usually the cheapest stuff on the shelf doesn't, lol

The biggest problem is getting air in the system, hard to get out and can cause your system to not work properly. Be sure you purge any lines you connect to the system of air before you charge the system.

Reactions: Daryl
I don't have any gauges, really don't want to buy anything. I do have a great old school garage down the street, honest and reasonable. I'll just bring it there. He's got an 05 TJ by the way.

Glad I looked at this as I am low because I'm an idiot..... I was under the hood leaning on a wrench pretty good when I heard"ssssss"...... I had my arm resting on one of the fittings and evidently put enough pressure on it that it leaked passed the o-ring. The AC still works but it's nothing like it was the previous summer..... I'm thinking that I may just get it serviced as I'm extremely doubtful that the PO did anything with it.