Is it possible to run a non A/C serpentine belt while leaving the A/C compressor and it's pulley in place?

Billy06

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My pulley on the AC compressor is seized up, which im assuming the clutch assembly is bad. m out of town and very limited at the moment on parts and tools. Is it possible to run a non AC serpentine belt while leaving the AC compressor and it's pulley in place? Basically just trying to bypass the AC to get it back on the road, but not sure if the pulley would be in the way if doing so? This would be a temporary band aide until I can get the Jeep back home and fix it properly.

Absolutely, it'll work fine.

Thanks guys, worked like a charm. Unfortunately, after getting the new belt on and back on the road, the harmonic balancer failed and had to have it towed to a small shop in the Lake Arrowhead, CA area. The shop had it fixed the same day, so could have been worse. Was up in the mountains to get married and a short honeymoon, so horrible timing for the Jeep to have mechanical problems. Luckily for me, the new wife loves Jeeps as much as I do, so she took it in stride.